Thursday, June 9, 2011

Chicken Piccata


Chicken Piccata, my way. I love Chicken Piccata, I think I first had it while we were living in Malibu, but I was hooked. The tender chicken, the tangy lemony sauce, the pasta and of course, the capers. YUM. It's one of those dishes that I can keep eating on, to the point of discomfort. OK, way too much information there.

At any rate. I first tried to make it at home a few years ago, and the first time out of the gate was a home run. At least for me. I know I don't make the 'right' way, but I do make it the right way for me.

So there...
Chicken Piccata



Start with some nice plump chicken breasts, and cut them into cutlets.   Just like this.

But first, don't do like I did last night, forget to get the water boiling for the pasta, so before you get your chicken out, put the water on for pasta. It really helps to have it ready, cause once the chicken is cooking, it doesn't take long. Start the pasta, it only takes 14 minutes and it will take you that long to cut and cook the chicken.

Wait a minute, let me start over.  You need the recipe and here it is.

Recipe:  Chicken Piccata     Serves 2 people
2 chicken breasts, cut into cutlets  **
1/2 cup AP flour
salt and pepper to taste
juice from one lemon (about 1/4 cup)
1 lemon, sliced thinly
4 Tablespoons Butter, divided
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
1/4 cup Capers
1/4 cup chopped Parsley


The really, really first step is to go out into your garden and gather a handful of fresh parsley, if you can. I have a lovely big pot of parsley outside and can just go out there and grab handfuls as I need them. Rinse it, and do a rough chop, and set aside with the lemon you just sliced. 

Then take the chicken and slice them into cutlets, and place them on a cutting board and prepare to use your meat tenderizer on them. You know, that hammer looking thing you've got sitting in the drawer, you hardly ever use. You do want the chicken to be pounded out into thin little steaks.
** It's easier to cut partially frozen chicken into cutlets. 


After you've got all the chicken cut up,


then dredge them in flour and place them in your preheated pan, that's got a little olive oil and some butter. (I love this pan, I bought it for $3 at a thrift store and it works great).
Chicken Piccata

The chicken cooks very quickly and you only want to leave it in the pan and turn it once. Then place on an oven proof pan and place in a warm oven, while you continue to cook the rest of the chicken. I like to place a couple slices of lemon on top, it adds a little piquant to the chicken.
Chicken Piccata

After you've finished off all the chicken, take your pan and deglaze it with juice of a half lemon or more to taste, and then add more butter and a little olive oil to the pan. Swirl it around, add a tablespoon or so of capers, a small handful of the rough chopped parsley and set aside.
Drain the pasta, and place on a serving place, I used Farfalle last night.   I also believe in using every burner and visible cooking surface I can.

Arrange your chicken on top, throw on some lemon slices for prettiness, a few more capers
Chicken Piccata

and then pour your lemon/butter/caper sauce over the top. Serve and enjoy. 

Chicken Piccata
 Now that's a nice dinner.   And really quite easy.
Hygge - Danish Food and Recipes would be a great gift for yourself or any foodies in your life. Available as a Kindle e book or in paperback. Autographed copies are also available at the Danish Windmill in Elk Horn, Iowa or on their website.  
Nibbles and Bites which is a collection of Appetizers is also now available on Amazon, in paperback or as a Kindle ebook.
All recipes and their respective images are either original or adapted and credited, and are all the sole property of Sid's Sea Palm Cooking © 2011-2018, with all rights reserved thereof.

 
Sidsel Munkholm - Author
Sidsel Munkholm - Author

Sid loves to cook, feed people and have fun in the kitchen. She shares her successes and the involuntary offerings she sometimes gives the kitchen goddess as well. And she's still looking for the mythical fairy to help her clean the kitchen after a marathon cooking session. Currently working on a cookbook showcasing the recipes from her Danish heritage.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers, so please feel free to drop me a note, let me know if you like something I made, it makes my day.