Sunday, July 10, 2011

Messy Burgers

I think everyone has their favorite burger recipe, and for some people the fancier the better, and for others, it's more of a tried and true formula.   I like hamburgers, but don't usually care for them from restaurants. 

All too often the meat patty is a pre-formed frozen disk of meat flavored cardboard.   I like my burgers with a hand made patty, that's been barely handled and just patted into a rough burger shape.   They're juicier and much more flavourful than those frozen things.    I picked up some ground chuck the other day at Earth Fare, and it looked really good, they also told me it was ground fresh several times a day in-store.   Even though I had to take it home and freeze it, I still think I'm starting from a better point than those packaged 'chubs' of mass produced ground beef.  "shudder".

So I made my patties, and fried them on my cast iron pan,  (see the dimple in the middle of the patty, that helps it cook more evenly, just dimple it with your finger before putting it on to cook).
Hamburger Patty in Cast Iron Pan



I would have grilled them, but at the moment don't have a barbeque grill, and when I do grill outside, I use my George Foreman grill anyway.
Sauteed an onion,

and some mushrooms for toppings,
Mushrooms and Bacon in pan

grabbed some cooked bacon out of the freezer and warmed them on top of the mushrooms, and we were set.  I'd set out the mustard, ketchup, mayonnaise as well as some bar-be-que sauce, lettuce, tomatoes, onions and pickles already, so we were ready to eat. 
I also buttered and browned the buns on a frying pan, which was a hint I picked up from the Pioneer Woman a while back and it really added a nice layer of flavor to the burgers.
Messy Burger
 
So, pardon me but my burger is ready to eat and I'm hungry.     The meat patty is layered with some cheese, onions, mushrooms, tomato and more onions, a little bbq sauce, mustard and mayo.    And it was good and messy.  Easily a three napkin burger, the best kind
Sidsel Munkholm - Author
Sidsel Munkholm - Author

Sid loves to cook, feed people and have fun in the kitchen. She shares her successes and the involuntary offerings she sometimes gives the kitchen goddess as well. And she's still looking for the mythical fairy to help her clean the kitchen after a marathon cooking session. Currently working on a cookbook showcasing the recipes from her Danish heritage.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers, so please feel free to drop me a note, let me know if you like something I made, it makes my day.