Friday, August 12, 2011

Cauliflower with Herbs (Blomkål med Urter)

Cauliflower with Herbs  (Blomkål med Urter)
As I think I've mentioned here before, I'm doing a cooking demo next week at a local restaurant.   And while I'm not that uncomfortable with cooking for masses of people, I do like to make sure that the recipes I'm going to be handing out are accurate.   I'm so used to 'eyeballing' my ingredients that I forget to measure them out.   And as I'm cooking I also 'tweak' the recipe.    So, in the interests of accuracy I decided to make the Cauliflower with Herbs side dish today.    And I think I'm officially in love with Cauliflower now.
Cauliflower with Herbs  (Blomkål med Urter)

OMG, it is good.   And I did tweak the recipe just a smidgeon, otherwise the Tarragon would have totally overpowered the rest of the herbs.  

To start with, cook a head of cauliflower until it's done to your taste, in some boiling, salted water.
Cauliflower

While that's cooking, head out to the garden and pick some chives and parsley, take inside, give it a quick rinse under some running water to remove those pesky little insects like the caterpillar I found crawling on the parsley.   I mean, this is a vegetarian, sorta, dish and we didn't want any extra protein in there.   Then take out the chervil (you found after searching several stores), the tarragon and place on the chopping block with the chives and parsley.
Herbs - Tarragon, Chives, Parsley and Chervil

Herbs - Tarragon, Chives, Parsley and Chervil with Mezzaluna
Remove the leaves from the tarragon stems, and any other tough stems from the parsley as well.    You will need roughly twice as much parsley, chives and chervil as the tarragon.   I used two stems of tarragon, which was plenty.
And ended up with about 3 tablespoons of chopped herbs.   (I only used one tablespoon on the recipe and froze the rest. ) 
Give them a chop with either a Mezzaluna or an ulu.  I've had mine for over 30 years and use it a lot. Great to chop herbs with, without bruising them.  Set the chopped herbs aside while you melt a couple tablespoons of butter in a pan, then add the herbs to the butter.

Herbalicious Butter -Chives, Parsley, Tarragon and Chervil
 Let cook for just a minute, while you're draining the cooked cauliflower.   Then dump the herbalicious butter over the cauliflower.   Stand there for just a minute and inhale.  Doesn't that smell good?   It does, believe me.
Cauliflower with Herbs  (Blomkål med Urter)


And it tastes even better.   I just scarfed most of a head of cauliflower down after taking the pictures, but did restrain myself a little and saved some of the cauliflower for dinner.
Cauliflower with Herbs  (Blomkål med Urter)

It is a vegetable and it's good for you as well.
Well, mostly, but everything's better with butter on it anyway.  



print recipe

Cauliflower with Herbs (Blomkål med Urter)

prep time: 5 MINScook time: 2 MINStotal time: 7 mins
Fancy up the every day cauliflower by adding some herbs and a little butter.

INGREDIENTS:

  • 1 head Cauliflower, rinsed, broken up into flowerets
  • 1-2 tablespoons fresh chopped herbs, mixture of Tarragon*, Chervil, Parsley and Chives
  • 2-4 tablespoons butter
  • Salted water to cook the Cauliflower in.

INSTRUCTIONS:

  1. Cook the cauliflower in some salted water, just til done to your liking. 
  2. While it is cooking chop up equal amounts of Tarragon*, Chervil, Chives and Parsley. Measure out 1 tablespoon of the herbs and set aside. 
  3.  Melt 2-4 tablespoons of butter and add one tablespoon of the herbs, let it cook for just about a minute over low heat, taste and add more herbs if you like. Pour the herb butter over the drained cooked cauliflower and serve. 
  4. You can also cool the butter down and use it on a baked potato or anywhere you'd like a blast of herb butter. 
 Since the Tarragon is so assertive, just cut down the amount in the recipe.
All recipes and their respective images are either original or adapted and credited, and are all the sole property of Sid's Sea Palm Cooking © 2011-2020, with all rights reserved thereof.

This recipe and many more Danish Recipes are in my cookbook Hygge- Danish Food and Recipes Dansk Mad og Opskrifter til et Hyggeligt Hjemme, available on Amazon. Also available as an ebook.
Created using The Recipes Generator
Sidsel Munkholm - Author
Sidsel Munkholm - Author

Sid loves to cook, feed people and have fun in the kitchen. She shares her successes and the involuntary offerings she sometimes gives the kitchen goddess as well. And she's still looking for the mythical fairy to help her clean the kitchen after a marathon cooking session. Currently working on a cookbook showcasing the recipes from her Danish heritage.

2 comments:

I love to hear from my readers, so please feel free to drop me a note, let me know if you like something I made, it makes my day.