Sunday, September 18, 2011

Breakfast Salad

Salad, not just for dinner anymore. 

 I couldn't resist that one, so pardon me.   I've been intrigued with seeing people posting about salad for breakfast for a few months now, but just didn't get my act together to try it til today.  And that's only because I had a huge tub of Spring Mix or Mesclun salad mix in the fridge and if I didn't eat it soon it was going to go all slimy and yucky.  I've already had two dinners out of it and really don't want to throw it away, so....   I thought I would try to make this.   And of course I decided to do this at the last minute, so didn't even try to look up where I'd seen the original postings, so I winged it.
And here's the result.
Breakfast Salad


First off, I got the water going for the poached egg.  I wanted some kind of croutons to go with the salad and remembered how much I like them on Ruby Tuesday's salad bar and then the light bulb went on and it about blinded me, lol.
Spring mix or Mesclun

I had some rye bread that was begging to be eaten so I buttered a slice of my homemade Rye Bread, on both sides and fried it with a couple of thinly sliced mushrooms.  I got them all nice and brown, both for the flavor and because they looked pretty. 

I poached the egg, and while it was cooking,

cut the bread into chunks, and placed them on the salad, along with the mushrooms.
Breakfast Salad ready for the egg

Then I whipped up a simple vinaigrette, olive oil, cider vinegar, salt and fresh ground pepper.   Got the egg out of the pan,
Breakfast Salad with a poached egg on top

placed it on top of the salad and drizzled the vinaigrette over top and cut into it.
Breakfast Salad with a poached egg

And have to say, I'm having Breakfast Salad again, it was very flavorful, satisfying and yet not heavy.   In fact I think it could be a really lovely light dinner as well.   And it's also vegetarian, which is always nice.
   Next time though, I'm going to add some mustard to the vinaigrette and maybe some chives and parsley.  And I'm not going to cook the egg so long.   I think it would have been much better if the egg had been a little less cooked. 

Sidsel Munkholm - Author
Sidsel Munkholm - Author

Sid loves to cook, feed people and have fun in the kitchen. She shares her successes and the involuntary offerings she sometimes gives the kitchen goddess as well. And she's still looking for the mythical fairy to help her clean the kitchen after a marathon cooking session. Currently working on a cookbook showcasing the recipes from her Danish heritage.

2 comments:

  1. Sid,
    This look delicious! I'm going to have to try this sometime soon. I love anything with eggs. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is delicious. I had it for breakfast yesterday as well. And I'm with you on eggs, I can eat them anytime, anywhere...

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from my readers, so please feel free to drop me a note, let me know if you like something I made, it makes my day.