Thursday, September 1, 2011

Butter from leftover whipping cream

I was cleaning out my fridge the other day and castigating myself because I'd forgotten some kale tucked behind some other veggies in the veggie drawer, and it was way past its use by date, all yellow and shriveled looking, yuck.  So I chucked it.  But as I worked my way up the fridge I found the rest of the quart of heavy whipping cream I'd purchased for the Layer Cake I made for my birthday.   I had tucked it behind some juice and thought I would make some kind of dessert with it a little later.   Then I looked at the date and it was almost ready to give up and die, OK it was ready to expire in a couple of days.    I really hated to waste that on top of the kale I'd thrown away so, I got out my Kitchenaid and made Butter.

Home Made Butter

Do you have any idea how ridiculously easy it is to make butter?  I mean, you let the machines do the work.   Just keep an eye on it and be ready to grab it when it becomes butter.   Beats the heck out of the old way of making butter, and yes, I've tried making it in a butter churn.  My arm's still sore. 



Whip the cream, just the way you would if you were going to use it for something luscious and decadent.   Then when it reaches this point you know you're just moments away from your own sweet, home made butter.
See how grainy it looks?  If you're like me, you've done this accidentally once or twice in the past.
Now just keep going.

  See the butter?  That's those yellow clumps, and the white stuff is the buttermilk, well, the whey that's left.

 At this point I change from the whisk to the beater, and pour off some of the liquid that's collected and keep the beater going just a couple minutes longer. But keep that liquid, it's great for baking.  Oh and it freezes beautifully as well.

You want to expel as much of the liquid from the butter as possible.   I usually add some salt at this point and taste it.
Home made Buttermilk

Liquid expelled from the butter, aka buttermilk.  Use it in any recipe that calls for Buttermilk. It freezes beautifully by the way. 

Home Made Butter
You now have butter.  And you made it all yourself.    I have to say, this isn't cost effective, but oh so worth it when you can put this on the table with some of your own fresh made bread.    If I'm not going to use it up within a couple of days, I will freeze the remainder.   But, you do need to keep it refrigerated, except when you're spreading it on nice hot piece of bread or a biscuit fresh out of the oven or ...


Sidsel Munkholm - Author
Sidsel Munkholm - Author

Sid loves to cook, feed people and have fun in the kitchen. She shares her successes and the involuntary offerings she sometimes gives the kitchen goddess as well. And she's still looking for the mythical fairy to help her clean the kitchen after a marathon cooking session. Currently working on a cookbook showcasing the recipes from her Danish heritage.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers, so please feel free to drop me a note, let me know if you like something I made, it makes my day.