Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Thanksgiving centerpieces...

When setting the table for Thanksgiving this year, give a little thought to how you're going to decorate the table.  If you're like me, the 'good dishes' get brought out, the wineglasses get an extra polish and the serving dishes are set out and ready to use.   And I have to have candles on the table.   And even though the food will look fantastic, think the gorgeous red of cranberry jelly in all its incarnations, the golden glow of sweet potato casserole, the snowy whiteness of the mashed potatoes, the creamy color of the turkey, well you get my drift, the food colors are fantastic.
Why not continue the theme with some candles, some low centerpieces, a little of this, a little of that...     I always have fun making sure my table looks good before the food gets served, I think it adds a lot to the whole dining experience.     I want to give you a couple of ideas here.

Last year a friend made these for a thanksgiving potluck and I gave serious thought to copying them this year, but I already had an idea in mind.    Let me show you an example of an almost totally edible centerpiece.   
If you look closely you can see Viv used some lettuce as the base, then decorated it with some mums, astralagus, mini peppers and some grapes.   And of course in the center is a big fat pillar candle.    I thought these looked really great when I saw them.   Is that not gorgeous?

And here's my idea for my table.   I have several of these plates, some votives, fresh cranberries (which can be re-purposed after dinner) and some leaves I gathered in Butterfield Canyon a few years ago.

I'm going to intersperse them with some green candles in a cut glass holder and twine some yellow leaves on a vine around the candles as well.   There are a lot of these


outside right now.  I just don't want to go out and cut some til the big day.   I promise to try and take a picture of the table when I do.   

How are your thanksgiving plans coming?   I'm heading down to the kitchen in a few minutes to start making the mince pies.  
Sidsel Munkholm - Author
Sidsel Munkholm - Author

Sid loves to cook, feed people and have fun in the kitchen. She shares her successes and the involuntary offerings she sometimes gives the kitchen goddess as well. And she's still looking for the mythical fairy to help her clean the kitchen after a marathon cooking session. Currently working on a cookbook showcasing the recipes from her Danish heritage.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers, so please feel free to drop me a note, let me know if you like something I made, it makes my day.