Friday, November 25, 2011

Wild Rice Stuffing, (vegetarian)

I love stuffing, and look for every excuse to have it.   And I'm always up for trying new recipes, and love to taste other people's versions of stuffing every chance I get.   But that being said, when I can I make the following stuffing, it's still my go-to version, and I've been making it and refining it for many years.  And by jove, I think I have it.  Of course that's just til the next time I make it and decide on adding something else, possibly.    One of the nice things about this stuffing is that I think it could be served alongside any kind of fowl, or even a pork roast or, maybe even, all by itself?

Vegetarian Stuffing
Ready for the oven.
Luckily for me, there was a little left from the Thanksgiving feast so I'm having it for lunch today with just a skiff of turkey gravy on top. 

 1)  Cook rice according to package directions and while that's cooking...
2) Finely chop Celery, Carrots and Shallot.
So pretty.

3) Cut Ciabatta Rolls into small dice  (you can use any hearty Artisan bread if you like or even Gluten free bread)

4) Slice Mushrooms.
5) Melt butter and olive oil over a medium heat in a good sized skillet, then add the mushrooms, let them brown a little, then add the celery, carrots, shallot and bread.  Stir around and let it cook together for a few minutes.  Add a little more olive oil if desired, but you want the bread to get a little browned.     Add 1 cup of Vegetable Stock to mixture.  Mix.
Cooking the stuffing a little.

6)  Turn off the heat and add the cooked rice to the skillet and mix it together.
Brown rice mixed in and the dried cranberries are the last add.

7)At the last add the 1/2 cup of dried Cranberries, and mix. 
8)  Grease a loaf pan, and scoop the rice mixture into it, then pour the remaining 1/2 cup of vegetable stock over the whole thing.
Ready for the oven.

Place in a 350 deg. oven and bake for 30 minutes. **

yield: 6-8 Servings
  print recipe

Wild Rice Stuffing (Vegetarian)

prep time: 30 MINScook time: 30 MINStotal time: 60 mins

INGREDIENTS:


  • 1 package Uncle Ben's Wild Rice mix, prepared according to instructions
  • 2 Ribs Celery, finely chopped
  • 2 carrots, finely chopped
  • 1 shallot, minced (Can also use 2 green onions, minced)
  • 3 cups diced hearty Artisan Bread (2 Ciabatta rolls work well here)
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 4 oz. Sliced Mushrooms, (reserve 2 sliced Mushrooms for topping)
  • 1/2 cup Dried Cranberries
  • 1 1/2 cups Vegetable Stock (or chicken stock, but then it wouldn't be vegetarian)
  • 1/2 tsp. Poultry Seasoning, opt.

INSTRUCTIONS:


  1. Cook rice according to package directions and while that's cooking,finely chop Celery, Carrots and Shallot. Cut Ciabatta Rolls into small dice (you can use any hearty Artisan bread if you like or even Gluten free bread) Slice Mushrooms. Melt butter and olive oil over a medium heat in a good sized skillet, then add the mushrooms, let them brown a little, then add the celery, carrots, shallot and bread. Stir around and let it cook together for a few minutes. Add a little more olive oil if desired, but you want the bread to get a little browned. Add 1 cup of Vegetable Stock to mixture. Mix. Turn off the heat and add the cooked rice to the skillet and mix it together. At the last add the 1/2 cup of dried Cranberries, and mix. Grease a loaf pan, and scoop the rice mixture into it, then pour the remaining 1/2 cup of vegetable stock over the whole thing. Place in a 350 deg. oven and bake for 30 minutes. ** * You can also use Chicken Stock or Turkey Stock here if you like.
Created using The Recipes Generator
* You can also use Chicken Stock or Turkey Stock here if you like.
** You can prepare this early in the day and then reheat it just before serving.  

I was cooking dinner for a bunch of people yesterday, and didn't get a shot of the finished stuffing, but everyone seemed to enjoy it.   And I have to say, it is one of my favorites.  OK, so far it is my favorite.   Until the next time I make it and see what else I can do with it.

And my table, here's the finished result...   I do like to sit down to a pretty table, it just makes the food taste so much better.
The leaves on the table were some I picked up in Butterfield Canyon many years ago and I had them packed away in my craft drawer, and decided they add a nice Autumnal touch to the table.  

Sidsel Munkholm - Author
Sidsel Munkholm - Author

Sid loves to cook, feed people and have fun in the kitchen. She shares her successes and the involuntary offerings she sometimes gives the kitchen goddess as well. And she's still looking for the mythical fairy to help her clean the kitchen after a marathon cooking session. Currently working on a cookbook showcasing the recipes from her Danish heritage.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for linking up with Full Plate Thursday! We will have an early Thanksgiving Edition on 11-22 -16, hope to see you there!
    Wishing you a bountiful Thanksgiving!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from my readers, so please feel free to drop me a note, let me know if you like something I made, it makes my day.