Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Veggie Casserole and Boat Club

We used to live in an RV full time, and were lucky enough to stay in one park that did a lot of potlucks, and the wife of the owner of the park used to bring this dish to a lot of the potlucks.  She'd actually gotten the recipe from his ex-wife.  (I just love the stories behind someone's recipes).  At any rate, every time Stephanie brought this, she got raves, and was kind enough to share the recipe.

Veggie Casserole
I made it for the Boat Club Potluck this month, and here is the recipe.

Veggie Casserole

Combine and mix together the following in a rectangular glass casserole dish. (9x13 size)

1 pkg. 16 oz frozen mixed vegetable, cooked and drained
1 cup mayonnaise
1 cup onion , chopped
1 cup celery, chopped
3/4 cup parmesan cheese






Top with the following:
1 pack Ritz crackers, crumbled
1 stick butter, melted (1/2 cup or 8 tablespoons)
Mix the crackers and butter together in a small bowl and make sure crackers are well covered in butter.  Sprinkle/spread crackers over veggies.


Bake uncovered for approx 35-45 minutes in 350 deg oven until crackers are golden brown.

* I did blanch the veggies a little, didn't cook them a lot, but next time will cook them a little more.   I also baked the casserole for the full 45 minutes and stretched out the recipe by adding a two pound package of mixed veggies, and added an additional 1/2 cup of Mayonnaise and 1/3 cup of Parmesan cheese.  For the topping I added another sleeve of Ritz Crackers and another 4 tablespoons of butter.   And there were only a few spoonfuls left of the casserole when we left last night. 

And you know me, I have to share what every one else brought this month.
For starters, Ham, and it was so good.

Then there was a great Au Gratin Potatoes,
Golden potatoes from the cheese.

After that the infamous Veggie Casserole,

then a Pesto Rotini dish,
So festive looking with the red and green.

a really great chicken pasta casserole,

this Corn Casserole, and it's dead easy to make.

Here's the how-to.
Corn Casserole 
Mix together one package Jiffy Corn bread according to the directions, then add one can drained whole corn, one can creamed corn, 4 green onions sliced, some peppers, Kathy used a local brand called Some Like it Hotter, which is a mixture of peppers,red pepper flakes, green, black and white peppercorns.   Mix it all together and bake it.  I forgot to ask how long but I'm guessing about 20 to 30 minutes at 350 deg.    Very good.
And then there was Rose's pasta salad.

Just 6 or so ingredients and it was very yummy.  She had found some tri colored Christmas pasta and cooked that up for it.  Then she just added some tomato and basil feta cheese, some drained frozen spinach, drizzled it with some garlic infused olive oil and topped it with some toasted pine nuts.
There are just too many good cooks around here.  sigh.  Lucky me.
And then there were two quiches, one veggie and one with meat,

which were also very good.

And then we head over to the dessert.   Did I mention we have too many good cooks here, well, if I did, it bears repeating.  The desserts were great.

From a lovely 7 layer bar 

and the funnest 'oops' and I should say  tastiest, 'oops' I've had in a long time.    A coconut cream pie pudding.

Cheryl Ann was making coconut cream pies, put some coconut into the pie shells, then decided she didn't want the coconut there, and dumped the coconut into the pudding.  Well, by doing that she also dumped the pie shell into the pudding.  So, she did what any self respecting cook would do, she stirred it all up together and served it that way.  It was really good.  Chunks of pie crust, topping, pudding all together, topped by some toasted coconut and scoopable.    I think this was a great way to serve pie.   And then there were the lemon bars,

and the cupcakes

and ...
 another fine example of southern stemware, I get such a kick out of these.   Gonna have to try my hand at making them.  I think they would be perfect for a tailgate party, adding a little class to the whole affair, don't you think?

We always have a good time at these affairs, and really appreciate all the great foods people bring.

I'll be posting the continuation of my adventures with Puff Pastry next. 
Sidsel Munkholm - Author
Sidsel Munkholm - Author

Sid loves to cook, feed people and have fun in the kitchen. She shares her successes and the involuntary offerings she sometimes gives the kitchen goddess as well. And she's still looking for the mythical fairy to help her clean the kitchen after a marathon cooking session. Currently working on a cookbook showcasing the recipes from her Danish heritage.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers, so please feel free to drop me a note, let me know if you like something I made, it makes my day.