Thursday, January 12, 2012

Lazy Daisy Cake

I've been revisiting my older cookbooks lately and wanted to share a quick and easy cake that I used to make when I was younger.   I think this is a great recipe to have in your arsenal if you need a quick dessert, or need to make a cake in a hurry for a tea or...
I first made this cake in economics class in High School, which was a couple of years decades ago.    The cookbook is called Recipes for Young Adults and was put out by the B.C. Sugar Refining Co. Ltd.    I think they supplied them to every school in the province at the time.   I kept mine because there were recipes in there I liked.   They were easy, good and economical.    My book is a little the worse for wear these days, but it is still intact.  There are grease stains, bits of unidentifiable batters spattered over the pages, but it's still together.
This morning I was heading into the Senior Center to help cook lunch so I decided to whip up a cake and take with me for desserts.   And since I've always loved this cake, it was a no-brainer as to which one to make.
Lazy Daisy Cake with broiled frosting

Lazy Daisy Cake    Oven at 350-375 degrees    Yield  9x9 pan   Bake 30 minutes

1 cup cake flour  (if you don't have cake flour then substitute with 3/4 cup all purpose flour and 1/4 cup potato or cornstarch)
2 eggs
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons butter
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla   (I used 1 teaspoon of Kahlua liqueur)
1/2 cup hot milk

1.  Sift flour, measure
2. Add baking powder and salt and sift three times
3. Beat eggs til thick and nearly white
4. Add sugar gradually, beating constantly
5. Add vanilla
6. Fold flour into egg mixture
7. Heat milk and butter, add to cake mixture and mix quickly.
8. Bake in greased pan.
9. Spread with broiled icing while still hot and brown in oven.

Broiled Icing
5 tablespoons brown sugar
3 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons cream or milk
1/2 cup coconut

1. Combine all ingredients in small saucepan.
2. Boil on medium heat for 3 minutes.

3. Pour on cake and brown under broiler.

And it was very good.   Nice crunchy top layer, fine crumb cake, totally luscious.   Definitely will make this again and soon.  
Lazy Daisy Cake with broiled frosting

Sidsel Munkholm - Author
Sidsel Munkholm - Author

Sid loves to cook, feed people and have fun in the kitchen. She shares her successes and the involuntary offerings she sometimes gives the kitchen goddess as well. And she's still looking for the mythical fairy to help her clean the kitchen after a marathon cooking session. Currently working on a cookbook showcasing the recipes from her Danish heritage.

1 comment:

  1. Wow this brings back lots of memories,I live in B.C. Thanks

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from my readers, so please feel free to drop me a note, let me know if you like something I made, it makes my day.