Saturday, November 17, 2012

Albondiga's Soup


Albondigas
One of the dishes I prepared for the cooking demo I did last May was Albondiga's Soup.    I was first introduced to this soup when I was living in Malibu.   We'd go 'over the hill' to a restaurant called La Paz, which was a Yucatan style Mexican restaurant in Calabasas.      And you were brought a little bowl of this soup with three (always three) meatballs in it, alongside the potatoes and carrots.   Plus a little dish of Escabeche (pickled carrots and jalapeno's).   I got hooked on both.   And have made Albondiga's soup for us from time to time over the years.  

Albondiga's Soup

1 lb. Hamburger
½ cup rice, uncooked
½ teaspoon Oregano
½ teaspoon cumin
¼ teaspoon Salt
¼ teaspoon Pepper

Mix above ingredients together and form them into small balls, about 1 inch in diameter or the size of a walnut. Place into refrigerator to firm up for a half hour or so.   This makes about 12-14 meatballs.  We actually like them a little smaller, I just have trouble making them smaller, I think I just get into a nice little zen space and the next thing I know, those meatballs are getting bigger and bigger and bigger, sorry, got off the subject there.   Cook in just enough of the chicken broth to cover, for about an hour or so.  It does take that long for the rice to plump up and cook thoroughly.   You can also add cooked rice instead, but I like using the uncooked rice.  It doesn't mush into the meat.   Also, I would recommend using an 85/15 mix, cause the last time I used really, and I do mean really lean meat, they were a touch dry.
Albondigas Soup
  
Then add them to a pot with the following:

1 clove garlic, minced
1 coarsely chopped white onion
Saute in a couple of tablespoons oil, then add with the rest of the ingredients.

3 Carrots, peeled and cut into 1 inch slices or coins
6 Yukon Gold or Red Bliss potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
* 2 stalks celery, cut into 1 inch pieces.  (optional, I don't like celery in the soup).
1 can (28 oz) diced tomatoes, with liquid
2 tablespoons chopped Fresh Mint Leaves
2 tablespoons Fresh chopped Cilantro
½ teaspoon Oregano (I like Oregano so I add a touch more here as well)
½ teaspoon Cumin, (more to taste if needed, I usually use more).
2 quarts Chicken Stock, (low sodium, home made is best)

Fresh chopped cilantro on the side for garnish.

Add all the above ingredients together and simmer for about 20 minutes or until the potatoes and carrots are tender and the meatballs are cooked. Serve with some fresh chopped cilantro on the side as a garnish.
And if you happen to have a nice crusty loaf of french bread, that tastes good with this soup as well. 


Serves 4-6 people, or 2 people for dinner and 1 person for 3 or 4 lunches. 

Sidsel Munkholm - Author
Sidsel Munkholm - Author

Sid loves to cook, feed people and have fun in the kitchen. She shares her successes and the involuntary offerings she sometimes gives the kitchen goddess as well. And she's still looking for the mythical fairy to help her clean the kitchen after a marathon cooking session. Currently working on a cookbook showcasing the recipes from her Danish heritage.

2 comments:

  1. This sounds and looks delicious. I can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made this the other day for us, and it was just as good as I remember it. Thanks for taking the time to stop by.

      Delete

I love to hear from my readers, so please feel free to drop me a note, let me know if you like something I made, it makes my day.