Thursday, November 1, 2012

Peggy's Paparito's

If you've read my blog at all, you know I like a bit of spice in my food.  More specifically, I like Mexican type spice.  Well, Jalapeno's, Serrano's, Guajillo Chilies, Habanero's, Anaheim Chiles, to name but a few.    I actually posted this recipe on my other blog a couple of years ago, but decided to revisit the recipe.   OK, I made some the other day, which is why I'm featuring it again.   
Paparito's

A few years back I had the pleasure of meeting and making friends with a lovely lady named Peggy.   She was a transplanted Texan, and loved all things Tex-Mex.    She gave me the following recipe, and it ranks right up there with all the other Tex-Mex foods I love.


And you know, it would be a great light dinner as well.   I only know this cause I've done it.

To start with, boil a couple or three potatoes.  Red Potato's, yellow potatoes or any other firm fleshed potato works best in this dish.  Burbanks or Russets, not so much.  They're too mealy.



Cook the potatoes til they are done and set aside.  Peel them if you wish or not, personally I like unpeeled.  Peels are good food.   Chop them roughly or slice them into nice uniform pieces if that's how you like your potatoes.   Does not matter at all.  Set them aside, you're not ready for them yet. 

Heat a pan and cook up some sausage.  I've used hot sausage, sausage patties, bulk sausage, really, whatever floats your boat.  If you use regular sausage, you can always amp up the heat a little with some jalapeno's or some pepper flakes, or...    Cook until done.  Set aside.

Add a little oil to the pan if you like, or use the sausage fat, then cook off one chopped onion in the grease.   Cook til almost done, then add the potatoes, and brown them just a little.   Add in the sausage just towards the end.   Add some chopped green pepper if you like or do as I do, add in a small can of canned green chiles.  Stir that around, just a little.  Set aside, and keep warm.
Then scramble up a couple of eggs per person, or just one if you like, cook til soft set and set aside.




Paparito'sWarm up some flour tortilla's, then divide the meat/potato mixture amongst how many people or tortilla's you're making and roll them up with some grated longhorn cheese.

Pour some warmed green tomatillo sauce over the top, sprinkle with cheese and place under the broiler to melt a little.


Serve hot.











Peggy’s Paparito’s
Stir fried potatoes with skins  ( I do about 3 potatoes for the two of us)
Scrambled eggs  1-2 per person
Grated long horn cheese
1/2- 1 Onion
Chorizo sausage or sage sausage, fried and crumbled   
Diced green chiles and/or diced green pepper
Add a diced jalapeno or two if you like a little more heat, which I do.  
 Flour tortilla’s
Mix above ingredients together and roll in a flour tortilla, burrito style.
Serve with warmed Green Chile sauce poured over and a sprinkle of cheese.
1 can green Chile sauce (Herdez or another one like that.)


And if you have too much filling, it freezes beautifully, and you've got a head start on another breakfast. 


Sidsel Munkholm - Author
Sidsel Munkholm - Author

Sid loves to cook, feed people and have fun in the kitchen. She shares her successes and the involuntary offerings she sometimes gives the kitchen goddess as well. And she's still looking for the mythical fairy to help her clean the kitchen after a marathon cooking session. Currently working on a cookbook showcasing the recipes from her Danish heritage.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers, so please feel free to drop me a note, let me know if you like something I made, it makes my day.