Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Butter Tarts

During a conversation with a fellow Canadian recently, the subject turned to Butter Tarts, and I got an immediate craving for some.   So, I decided to make some up.

These are not mini Pecan Pies, they are a true Canadian recipe.   I've made them both the traditional way and with raisins, I've even put Pecans in them, but then they resemble Pecan Pie and that's just not a Butter Tart.

I even called my sister for the 'right' recipe because she makes the best Butter Tarts ever, and she told me she uses the recipe she got off of the flour bag years ago.    And I just googled 5 Roses Butter tarts and just about every recipe was the following one, except for the one on the 5 Roses site. hmmm

Theirs got a little fancy.   So I'm just making this my way.   Well, with one small change, I can't get currants locally so I use raisins.  But the next time I go to the big city, I'm buying me some currants and keeping them on hand.   For now, I just want a Butter Tart or three.   Oh, did I tell you I also shared them at our monthly Boat Club potluck. 
Butter Tarts



Line tart pans with pastry dough, either your own homemade or pre made dough.   Depending on the size of your pan, cut the dough in circles, big enough to fit inside the pan.
Butter Tarts


Butter Tarts


Butter Tarts
Combine the other ingredients, then spoon into the pastry shells, filling no more than 2/3rds full.

Butter Tarts


Now, there are two schools of thought on Butter Tarts, some people like the middle a little gooey and some like them firmer, you'll just have try them either way.   Personally, I like em both ways.  Gooey or firm, I just like Butter Tarts. 

yield: 24 mini tartsprint recipe

Butter Tarts

prep time: 20 MINScook time: 20 MINStotal time: 40 mins
These were a Christmas staple, and one that I should make more often. Little bites of yumminess.

INGREDIENTS:

5 Roses Butter Tart Filling
  • 1/3 cup butter, melted
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 2 Tablespoons Cream or Milk
  • 1/2 cup Currants (Can substitute Raisins
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
  • 1 recipe Pie Dough

INSTRUCTIONS:

  1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.  Line tart pans with pastry dough, either your own homemade or pre-made dough. Depending on the size of your pan, cut the dough in circles, big enough to fit inside the pan. Combine the other ingredients, then spoon into the pastry shells, filling no more than 2/3rds full. Trust me on this, any more in there and it oozes up and over and then you can't get those little suckers out easily. Then you have to eat the evidence, and it's really hard to hide the fact that you ate half the recipe cause the tarts didn't come out. Especially if you are planning on having a dozen or so tarts and you only end up with 6. I know whereof I speak. Sorry, I got distracted there. Bake for 20 minutes or so, until the top of the pastry is nice and golden, and the filling has cooked through.
Created using The Recipes Generator
Sidsel Munkholm - Author
Sidsel Munkholm - Author

Sid loves to cook, feed people and have fun in the kitchen. She shares her successes and the involuntary offerings she sometimes gives the kitchen goddess as well. And she's still looking for the mythical fairy to help her clean the kitchen after a marathon cooking session. Currently working on a cookbook showcasing the recipes from her Danish heritage.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers, so please feel free to drop me a note, let me know if you like something I made, it makes my day.