Sunday, December 16, 2012

December Tapas Night

I'm tired today and when I got up this morning it looked like a party had taken place in my house.   I didn't get it cleaned up all the way last night, it was late, I was tired, and quite frankly I like to take my time when it comes washing all those wineglasses.  Many of them are crystal, and also I love to reflect while I'm washing them, and putting them away. 

I thought I took a lot of pictures of the food last night, but honestly I think I missed some and some of the pictures were too blurry to post.   I had a houseful, and it was almost like SRO, standing room only.   Well, we had stools and chairs and people kind of mingled and had a good time. 
We did a Grinch Christmas gift exchange, and had fun with that.  

So without further ado, and if I missed taking a picture of your offering, I'm sorry, but really, it's my party and I can mingle and have fun and miss taking pictures.   Although, as usual, we had a wide variety of foods.   From the Smorgastata I made, to christmas breads, cookies, cakes, quiches to a great soup, dips, spreads, and I don't know what else.  


My Yule tree, I went with a minimalist approach to decorating this year.    

 Above and to the side here, some of the sweet treats that were brought.  Clockwise, Cookies, Coconut cake, more cookies, Cranberry Bread, Chocolate cake, and Chocolate cake balls.

 Cheese ball and Crackers and in the lower left a Lasagna (it was all gone by the time I got over there to get a taste.)
 Sorry for the blur, Pimento Cheese triangles.  I'd never had Pimento Cheese til I moved south, and now, well, I really like it.  I've even been known to buy the spread, haven't tried making it yet, but I will. 
 In the back some sliced sandwich meat, and in the front a really interesting spread, I did get a chance to taste it.   And the bread, well I love a good bread and this was one. 
 Another view, and to the right, another of my favorites, cream cheese with pepper jelly to spread on crackers.   Personally, I could make a meal of it, oh, wait a minute, I have made a meal of cream cheese and pepper jelly.  Sorry, I get side tracked sometimes.
 There were two Quiches brought and I tasted both of them.  I don't know what there is about quiche, but I just love them.  To the right in the back were some interesting rolls, like a blueberry pancake rolled around a sausage. 
 Smörgåstårta  (Swedish Sandwich Cake)
I'll be posting the how to's on this later on this week.   It was a lot of fun to make.   Also in the background here, the other Quiche. 
 Very blurry picture of the Pecan Pie.  I do love me a good Pecan pie.
 Deviled Eggs with a kick.   Don't they look pretty?   Harriet put curry powder in them, and we were all trying to figure out what was in them.  I could taste hot, but guessed it was some Chinese Hot mustard.  I thought they looked so festive.
 Zuppa Toscana, so tasty.   Kathy comes up with some fun stuff.   She's going to get me the recipe.   I'm still waiting for the Cuban Chicken recipe too, so, in the meantime, I'll just enjoy her offerings.
 I did manage to get an unblurred picture of some of the great Christmas breads, see, there in the back right on the green platter?   And in the foreground were some Latkes.  I do like Latkes.  Now, I just have to learn how to make them.  
 Another dip with some great crostini and carrots.   In the foreground the Mushroom Quiche.   Did I mention, I like Quiche?   Sorry, some things just bear repeating. 










 Last but not least,  a Christmas tree, a fitting end to this.   The tree did not survive intact though, I noticed a lot of branches missing as well as some of the garland as the evening progressed. 






As usual a lot of good great food, wonderful company and well, gee, what can I say, I love to do Tapas night, and have friends over.   I also get to meet new people all the time, and reconnect with old friends.  

Merry Christmas
Sidsel Munkholm - Author
Sidsel Munkholm - Author

Sid loves to cook, feed people and have fun in the kitchen. She shares her successes and the involuntary offerings she sometimes gives the kitchen goddess as well. And she's still looking for the mythical fairy to help her clean the kitchen after a marathon cooking session. Currently working on a cookbook showcasing the recipes from her Danish heritage.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Sid! Enjoyed the Tapas night....glad I finally made it to one! And if you p.m. me your email address, I'll give you my famous latke recipe!
    Jill Rees

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you finally made it to one of our Tapas nights. And I would love to get your Latke recipe. I'll contact you later.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from my readers, so please feel free to drop me a note, let me know if you like something I made, it makes my day.