Thursday, January 10, 2013

Firehouse Chile

 Who doesn't love Chile?  Well, there may be one or two people out there who don't, but they don't count.   This recipe is one I got from my Mother in Law, who made a great chile before, but, this one, totally awesome.    She said it was one a fireman created and he won a cooking contest with it, and I can believe it.   It is great.   And sorry,  but it does have beans in it, so if you're a chile purist, you'll still like it, just pretend you're eating something else, like oh, say, Chile Beans with Meat.


Firehouse Chili

1 ½ -2 lbs. Ground beef or pork

1 lg. Onion Chopped (Carol used minced onion flakes)

1 bell pepper chopped

3-4 cloves garlic (Carol used garlic powder)

1 can Kidney Beans

1 can Chili Beans  (I like Bush Brand, but use whichever one you like)

1 can Pinto Beans

1 can Ranch style beans

14.5 oz. Can Rotelle Chiles and Tomatoes

1 large can enchilada Sauce, 19 oz. (I like either Hatch's Brand or La Victoria brand)

New Mexico Chili Powder to taste  (1 tablespoon or so)

** Cumin, which wasn't in the original recipe, but I like it

Louisiana style Crystal Hot Sauce to taste

Carol used the Chili Beans for the seasoning and didn’t use the other chili powder or the hot sauce.  I use the Chile Beans and add some more Chile powder to taste.   I also throw in a couple of jalapeno's.  Nothing like a little heat. 

Brown the meat and place in crock pot, add all other ingredients and allow to simmer overnight or for at least 8-10 hours.     Or do as I do, cook on top of the stove for a couple or three hours, stirring occasionally, then let it cool, and reheat the next day for maximum flavour and then I serve it. 



I serve this with some Dough Dogs, or you may know them as Fry Bread or Fried Bread.   In Utah they were called Scones as well.  Not to be confused with English Scones.   And for the Scones/Frybread/Dough Dogs, you need some honey and butter.   And you have a complete meal. 

Sidsel Munkholm - Author
Sidsel Munkholm - Author

Sid loves to cook, feed people and have fun in the kitchen. She shares her successes and the involuntary offerings she sometimes gives the kitchen goddess as well. And she's still looking for the mythical fairy to help her clean the kitchen after a marathon cooking session. Currently working on a cookbook showcasing the recipes from her Danish heritage.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for sharing your awesome Chili with us for The Texas Star Chili Cook Off 2016!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun, glad I had one to contribute. Thanks for having me.

      Delete

I love to hear from my readers, so please feel free to drop me a note, let me know if you like something I made, it makes my day.