Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Quick and Easy Salsa

I know I'm coming a little late to the party, it was Cinco de Mayo this  past Sunday. Yikes where did the time go?  

 I  want to share this  recipe for salsa.   This is so darn easy, quick and can be made from the pantry, well mostly from the pantry.  Just need fresh green onions, cilantro and lime juice, but the rest is from the pantry,really, it is.
I love these Jalepeno's en Escabeche.   I eat the carrots first though, even if they burn my tongue a little.  I always have a can of them in the cupboard or in the fridge or, well, I have them handy.

Take one or two cans of whole tomatoes,  either cut them up or better yet, squish the tomatoes a little to break them up, place in bowl, and set aside. (if you squish the tomatoes to break them up, make sure your hands are clean first).     Open a large can of green chiles, the 7 oz. can works great, then add a few pickled jalapeno slices, minced, (or even a small can of jalapeno's),  depending on the heat level you want.    Finally add a bunch of green onions, chopped.  Stir together and add about a teaspoon of salt.  I know, I never tell you to add salt, but for this, you need it.   Although you could start with a half teaspoon and work your way up.    Taste it first and see what you think.   Add the juice of a fresh squeezed lime and some chopped Cilantro.  About a 1/4- 1/2 cup.      Place the salsa in a bowl, and put in the fridge for about an hour or so.   Serve with some fresh tortilla chips and a nice cold beer or a margarita.  Oh and if there are leftovers, be aware it can become very spicy.  But it's all good.  




I actually made this for a Cinco de Mayo Party that friends threw and I have to say that even with the amount of great food available, most of the salsa got eaten.  But I had a little bit left and I dumped spooned some of it onto a nicely fried egg and it was so good. 

Quick and Easy Salsa


Sidsel Munkholm - Author
Sidsel Munkholm - Author

Sid loves to cook, feed people and have fun in the kitchen. She shares her successes and the involuntary offerings she sometimes gives the kitchen goddess as well. And she's still looking for the mythical fairy to help her clean the kitchen after a marathon cooking session. Currently working on a cookbook showcasing the recipes from her Danish heritage.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers, so please feel free to drop me a note, let me know if you like something I made, it makes my day.