Monday, November 11, 2013

No-Knead Bread for SRC

Boy has this past month flown by.  Actually the past couple of months have flown by, I've not been making a lot of new recipes and posting about them.  Luckily for me I have the Secret Recipe Club to remind me to make something new and tell the world about it.   

It's REVEAL DAY!!!!

I get excited sometimes, just bear with me.


Secret Recipe Club is a neat group of bloggers.   There are four groups and each group is assigned a reveal day and time, which is a Monday.    My group gets the second Monday.   We make a recipe from our assigned blog, and post about it, all at the same time.   I have fun with this, cause not only do I get to explore a new blog, I also get to see the cool recipes other SRC bloggers post about.  I've bookmarked, well, gone back and drooled over some of the recipes that were at the bottom of the posts.  I cannot believe how many talented people there are out there and the great recipes that can be found.   And it's always fun to see which of my recipes gets made, and the twists that a cook can make to a recipe.  I've shamelessly copied some of them, the tweaks and twists that is.  

With all that hyperbole, not to mention the purple prose, I had fun, again, exploring a new blog.   Little Bit of Everything was my assigned blog this month and I started going through it, and then I saw "The Recipe",
 No Knead Bread.    
No-Knead Bread


I stopped looking at that point cause I had found the recipe I wanted to make, (she has a bunch of other great recipes too though).  I love bread and had been meaning to try this kind of bread for a long time.  And this was just the excuse I needed to get my Dutch Oven out of storage, re-season it and start using it again.  Doesn't hurt that it's getting cool outside either and fresh, hot bread, straight out of the oven, well, all I can say is, bring it on, slathered with some butter and maybe a touch of honey and served with a big mug of hot chocolate. 


No Knead Crusty Bread
Recipe Courtesy of Simply So Good
3 cups unbleached all purpose flour (I used King Arthur Bread Flour)
1 3/4 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon yeast
1 1/2 cups water

No-Knead Bread
 Whisk together flour, salt and yeast, add to mixing bowl on your KitchenAid Mixer. 

 Add  the water and mix until a shaggy mixture forms.  


No-Knead Bread

Cover bowl with plastic wrap and set aside for 12 - 18 hours, overnight works great for this. I put this in the oven, to keep the temperature even.  


Heat oven to 450 degrees.  I put my pot in the oven when it started heating, less chance of damaging the cast iron that way.   When the oven has reached 450 degrees place a cast iron pot with a lid in the oven and heat the pot for 30 minutes.  
No-Knead Bread

Meanwhile, pour dough onto a heavily floured surface and shape into a ball. 


No-Knead Bread

 Cover with plastic wrap and let set while the pot is heating. 


 Remove hot pot from the oven and drop in the dough.  

No-Knead Bread



Cover and return to oven for 30 minutes.  After 30 minutes remove the lid and bake an additional 15 minutes.  Remove bread from oven and place on a cooling rack to cool.  
No-Knead Bread
No-Knead Bread

No-Knead Bread
I just had to show how pretty this bread looked on the inside.  And the taste and crust and crumb, well. let me just say, I'm in trouble now.   This bread was so good, I inhaled two pieces right off the bat, and I'd just finished eating bacon and eggs.  I didn't eat my second piece of toast though.  I just had this bread.  

If you don't like crusty bread, don't make this.  If you do like a crusty, artisan bread, well, let me just say this, I'm making this again to take with me to Boat Club as a side dish.  I just want to share it with the world.   






**** UPDATE****  I just wanted to say, I've gone through one 5# bag of flour and am well into my second bag, sigh.  I just can't stop making this bread.   I've brought it with me to a couple of things, and have had people inhale the bread.   I'm making another loaf to bring with me on Sunday to dinner with friends.  (He's cooking Duck, one of my faves).

**********Second Update********************
My fellow Secret Recipe Club members also voted it the most popular recipe for that reveal.  
**********Third Update*****************
I've lost track of how many loaves of this bread I've made.  It's got to be one of the most popular things I make.
Here's pictures of just a few of them.
No-Knead Bread

No-Knead Bread


No-Knead Bread

No-Knead Bread


No-Knead Bread


Please feel free to leave me a comment or note or just say Hi. I love to hear from you and am so glad you're reading my blog.   

 
Sidsel Munkholm - Author
Sidsel Munkholm - Author

Sid loves to cook, feed people and have fun in the kitchen. She shares her successes and the involuntary offerings she sometimes gives the kitchen goddess as well. And she's still looking for the mythical fairy to help her clean the kitchen after a marathon cooking session. Currently working on a cookbook showcasing the recipes from her Danish heritage.

15 comments:

  1. I've never made no-knead bread - I don't have a cast iron dutch oven. :( But it sure looks and sounds amazing! Nice SRC choice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you can also make this in a cast iron pan in the oven, just cover it with aluminum foil. I'm going to be experimenting with some other ways of baking it, such as using my pizza stone, and spritzing the bread with water halfway through the baking process. So many ideas, so little time.

      Delete
  2. This is the very best bread!! Great SRC selection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree. And you have no idea how excited I am that I now know how to make this bread. My waistline might not be, but I am.

      Delete
  3. There's almost nothing better than breaking off a piece of homemade bread that you made yourself! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was so good. I have another one in the oven at the moment, cause we ate the first one already.

      Delete
  4. It does look so good inside as well as on the outside. I would have polished this off in no time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did, eat it all that is. I'm baking another one to take to Boat Club tonight along with some of my homemade butter. I figure this way I won't eat half a loaf, again.

      Delete
  5. I've never actually made bread in a dutch oven, and I've never made a no knead bread, but I'm thinking I need to give this recipe a try. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so easy and not something I would have ever thought of, but it is now my preferred bread making method.

    ReplyDelete
  7. NK Bread is awesome! I love to try different add-in combinations like rosemary/walnuts, feta/olive, or dried cherries/lemon zest, but the original is hard to beat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will try different twists on this, but as you said, the original is hard to beat. And I will be making this again and again. Just have to figure out how to make two loaves next.

      Delete
  8. Hi there, just wanted to mention, I liked this post. It
    was helpful. Keep on posting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sid, what can I use in place of a cast iron pot?? This looks so tasty!! Geri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got some suggestions from The Kitchn website and sent them to you.

      Delete

I love to hear from my readers, so please feel free to drop me a note, let me know if you like something I made, it makes my day.