Saturday, March 15, 2014

Corned Beef, my way

There is nothing quite so wonderful as the scent of a lovely corned beef or three wafting through the air, as they cook slowly in the crock pot, or on top of the stove or in the oven.

We like corned beef here, but I do it a little differently than most.   I really don't care for the traditional cabbage, potatoes and carrots cooked in the corned beef liquid, nor does anyone else in our family.   Over the years I've also tried a lot of different recipes, trying to get the taste just right.  A few years ago, I succeeded, and now I make my corned beef the same way all the time.   

I actually make a couple of corned beef  at a time.  I like having some in the freezer, as it freezes well, and it falls into my idea of always having something in the freezer that can be put on the table with a minimum of fuss and bother.   And let's face it, sometimes you just get a craving for corned beef, and how cool is that, you can have it on the table in an hour or so, or as soon as you can get it thawed.  
Corned Beef, with all the fixins for St. Patrick's Day

To begin with, you need a corned beef,(or two or three)  make it whatever size you like, place it in the pot with a bottle or two of dark beer, then add water to cover, sprinkle it with the pickling spices, then simmer it until tender.  In the crock pot this usually takes about 5-6 hours on high, or on top of the stove, about 2-3 hours.   Check it periodically.
Corned Beef in Crockpot
Ready for the beer.
Corned Beef in Crockpot
A nice vintage, adds some lovely flavour
Corned Beef in Crockpot
Beer and Pickling spices added.
 When it's fork tender (and it's perfectly admissible to cut a slice off and taste it, just to see, you just have to be careful you don't taste test them til they're gone).    You can then put it aside to cool down before freezing them.
Corned Beef
Cooling down for the freezer

Or you can do this...
Glazed Corn Beef
Glazed and ready for the oven
Slather them with a glaze of mustard/brown sugar and throw them back in the oven for an hour or so, and serve with some more of the brown sugar/yellow mustard mixture.  
Sauce:  Corned Beef and Ham Sauce
1 cup yellow Mustard
1 cup brown sugar (light or dark, doesn't matter)

Mix together at least 3 hours before you need it.  The brown sugar melts into the mustard and you get a wonderful sauce. 
 Make a lot, you can keep it in fridge for whenever the urge strikes that you need a little of this sauce.    I actually try to keep some on hand.   Simple and totally awesome on corned beef.

And just want to say this,this also goes so well with ham.   You can slather this on a nice piece of ham and bake it and then use the sauce to dip the ham into.    Might as well make it multi purpose, whenever possible.

I've got company coming for dinner and want to finish getting it ready.  I'll be serving the corned beef with some Haluska, and a veg (being brought by one of my guests, have no idea what it will be yet.)  And of course a nice loaf of Irish Soda Bread.  
Sidsel Munkholm - Author
Sidsel Munkholm - Author

Sid loves to cook, feed people and have fun in the kitchen. She shares her successes and the involuntary offerings she sometimes gives the kitchen goddess as well. And she's still looking for the mythical fairy to help her clean the kitchen after a marathon cooking session. Currently working on a cookbook showcasing the recipes from her Danish heritage.

1 comment:

  1. We loved featuring your awesome post on Full Plate Thursday, 580. Thanks so much for sharing with us and come back to see us soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from my readers, so please feel free to drop me a note, let me know if you like something I made, it makes my day.