Saturday, March 22, 2014

Deviled Egg Chicks for Easter

I had fun yesterday, I made deviled eggs to bring to NPA and then I went a little further and made these  Chicks out of some of the eggs. Deviled Egg Chicks

Deviled Egg Chicks


To start with, hard cook your eggs however you like.  I use my Eggsact  Egg Timer, just cause I love it and have been using this particular one for almost 20 years.  I learned a long time ago, I cannot time eggs, but with this, I can. 

After cooling and peeling the eggs, reserve a couple of eggs for these cute little chicks.

Cut a little slice off of the bottom of the egg, so that it can sit nicely without falling down.  Then cut the egg across about a third of the way down, and scoop out the yolk, being careful you don't split it.
Cooked egg whites for Deviled Eggs

 Add that yolk to the rest of the egg yolks, and make your filling however you like.  I was a purist with these, just a little mayo, mustard and a touch of miracle whip, plus some fresh ground pepper.   Place the yolk filling in a piping bag with a star tip or just place the filling into a ziploc bag and snip off a corner for piping the filling into the eggs.  
Deviled Egg



Fill the white and then pipe a little more of the filling into the cap (the top third you cut off), and place on top, at a slight angle.
Deviled Egg Chicks
Add some eyes, I used Capers, but you can use pickles, or black olives or...  And then add the beaks.  I used some colby jack cheddar cause I was too lazy to peel a carrot and cut it into pieces.  But I think either a carrot or regular cheddar cheese would have been better.   And go ahead and pipe a little of the filling onto the pieces you cut off of the bottom.  If you haven't eaten them already.  (I ate a couple, well, gee, deviled eggs? I mean who can resist them). 
Deviled Egg Chicks
Deviled Egg Chicks

Deviled Egg Chicks

I then decorated them all purty with some paper parasols, and got them ready to take to NPA last night.   The toothpicks you see there were to help tent the plastic wrap so the pretty piping didn't get smooshed.

Deviled Egg Chicks
I did notice that the plate I took for the guys was eaten almost right away, but no one wanted to eat the chicks.  

Well, gotta go and get ready for Tapas tonight.  I'm sure there will be some really fantastic dishes brought again and a good time will be had by all.  

Sidsel Munkholm - Author
Sidsel Munkholm - Author

Sid loves to cook, feed people and have fun in the kitchen. She shares her successes and the involuntary offerings she sometimes gives the kitchen goddess as well. And she's still looking for the mythical fairy to help her clean the kitchen after a marathon cooking session. Currently working on a cookbook showcasing the recipes from her Danish heritage.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers, so please feel free to drop me a note, let me know if you like something I made, it makes my day.