Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Boat Club for May

Last night was our monthly Boat Club potluck and it was bittersweet. 

It's the last time we'll get together until fall.  

But that didn't stop a few diehards from coming and sharing their foods.  

We were a little heavy in the dessert section, but I noticed that a lot of them got eaten despite the fact we were not that many in number.

For a change I even brought a dessert.  

Yup, I did.   And I'll be sharing the recipe soon.   Jon had given me the 'family' recipe for Apple Cake and asked me to make it.  So I did and brought it and it was given a thumbs up by everyone who tried it. 

However there was a lot of good food brought, which is usual for us.
 There was this incredible selection of pickles.  I did go back and get seconds on the cherry peppers and the fava beans. 
 Chicken Nuggets and dipping sauce.  And who doesn't love these?  Not me...
 I got to sample some BBQ ribs, and after last weekend with the ribs and now these, I have a serious craving going on, for ribs that is.
 One of the things I love about the south is the way veggies are made.  I mean, who can go wrong when you season with a little ham.  Maybe if my mom had made veggies this way, I would have been a convert a long time ago. I think I could have made a meal just out of this. 

But I didn't.
 Cause there were these incredible, huge shrimp to sample as well.   And I noticed I wasn't the only sampler around. 
 And then there was this bean salad.  I'm helpless when it comes to a nice pickled bean salad.   I have to have some.  And in fact have been know to buy the jarred variety and keep them in the fridge.  Course it never lasts that long, but...
 And a totally different take on wings.   These were Greek style, done on the barby, and thanks to Lee, I now want some Greek Style pork.  (OK, so I was thinking about it before I sampled these, but now I know I'm making some souvlaki, soon,)

Served with a lovely feta dip and celery. 












And then there were the desserts... 
 Kathleen brought Santa and pineapple.   (She's not allowed to come anywhere unless he comes too.)
 A luscious Blueberry Pandowdy.   I do love an old fashioned dessert.  And I sampled it, you know I did.
 Peach and cream crumble pie.   Very nice.  I had some of this as well.
 The Cheesecake platter was very popular, and I love that you can buy these with all the different flavours.  My only problem with that is, I would eat it all, but not at one sitting.   

I guess that's really not a problem then, huh?
 I made an Apple Cake from a recipe my friend Jon gave me.  It's an old family recipe and I'll be telling you all about how to make that later on.
And last, but not least, a turtle pie, and as you can see, it was popular as well.   











Well, that's it for Boat Club for the summer, but knowing this place, we'll have lots of gatherings with more great food, and I'll bring my camera, take pictures and tell you all about it. 
Sidsel Munkholm - Author
Sidsel Munkholm - Author

Sid loves to cook, feed people and have fun in the kitchen. She shares her successes and the involuntary offerings she sometimes gives the kitchen goddess as well. And she's still looking for the mythical fairy to help her clean the kitchen after a marathon cooking session. Currently working on a cookbook showcasing the recipes from her Danish heritage.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers, so please feel free to drop me a note, let me know if you like something I made, it makes my day.