Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Birthday Party Fun

I just love getting last minute invites to parties.

Really, I do.

It means I get to go into my pantry and see what I can come up with to make and bring.

It's my idea of fun, OK.

You go have fun your way, and I'll do it my way.

So, I get the invite to a last minute celebration, and immediately the neurons in my brain started firing, and missing, but that's a story for another day.

I'd run into a tin of Kippered Herring in my re-organization of the pantry and well, I got the idea for a Fish Dip, so I made this Kippered Fish Dip to bring.

But I wasn't the only crafty one, there was as usual a lot of good food.   And since I've already shared the how to on the fish dip, here's some pictures of the rest of the food.

An orzo vegetable salad very nice.
 And it's not a gathering around here without the Santa toothpick holder and the pineapple.
 Grapes, cheese and Crackers, a perfect trifecta.

Chicken Salad, the kind with grapes. (pardon the shadow, but whatcha gonna do when the light's behind you.
 Fried chicken.  Amazing how often that just disappears.
 Guacamole with the addition of cheddar in it.
 Salted, boiled peanuts.  A southern staple.  And these were good.
 More guacamole, and it disappeared in short order.
 Hummus, with some sliced olives on top, which was a neat idea. 
Smoked sausage bites, and with a piece of pineapple, made a lovely bite.










And back for an encore bow, some Fish Dip.












I did say this was a birthday party, didn't I?

The birthday cake.  

A Mango Blueberry Pecan Upside Down Cake.
Look how pretty, and it tasted really good as well.  I am going to have to get the recipe or try some experimenting in the kitchen.  I loved the freshness and yet the festive look of this cake.
Sidsel Munkholm - Author
Sidsel Munkholm - Author

Sid loves to cook, feed people and have fun in the kitchen. She shares her successes and the involuntary offerings she sometimes gives the kitchen goddess as well. And she's still looking for the mythical fairy to help her clean the kitchen after a marathon cooking session. Currently working on a cookbook showcasing the recipes from her Danish heritage.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers, so please feel free to drop me a note, let me know if you like something I made, it makes my day.