Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Chow Mein

I never used to like veggies, and in fact, like most kids I would look at certain foods with a great deal of suspicion.   And would refuse to try it, if it didn't look 'right'.

My parents would then counter with the argument, "How can you tell you don't like it if you don't try it?"

I bet you've had that argument with various members of your family as well.
Go ahead, admit it.

Well, before I was allowed to say "I don't like it", I had to eat at least one bite.  I still don't like cooked peas, but because I tried one bite, I was allowed to say "I don't like them".

I did that with a  lot of veggies.  Squash, cauliflower, broccoli, cooked carrots, cooked peas...

But, at least I tried them.

And now, well, let me just say this, if my Mom could see me now. 

I love veggies, pretty much any kind you care to put in front of me, I'll eat.  Still not too fond of plain cooked peas, but...

Which leads me to this dish.
Chow Mein
Chow Mein
To be honest, I haven't had this in a long time, but I've been trying to eat cleaner, healthier and even though this is part of a larger meal, at least I'm eating veggies.

And since I'm also craving some Chinese food and the nearest Chinese restaurant is 30 miles away, I'm going to make my own.

Chinese food that is.

I'm making some Chicken Balls with Sweet and Sour sauce, Ham Fried rice, and this, Chow Mein. 

Recipe: Chow Mein (Sid style)
2 stalks celery, sliced on the diagonal
1 carrot, cut into coins, on the diagonal
8 oz. mushrooms, sliced
1 onion, sliced into slivers
1/2 cup fresh bean sprouts
2 tablespoons Soy Sauce
1/2 cup chicken stock
1/2 cup Chow Mein Noodles
1 tbsp. vegetable oil
1 tbsp. Sesame Seed Oil
1 sliced, cooked chicken breast or cooked pork chop if desired.
Sesame Seeds to taste and garnish

Saute the celery, carrots, onions, mushrooms in 1 tbsp. oil, til just barely cooked,
add the 1/2 cup chicken stock, and Soy Sauce,  then stir in the Chow Mein Noodles,

and put a cover on.  Let steam for about 4-6 minutes,
then add the fresh bean sprouts and the cooked, sliced pork chop and stir in quickly.
Fold in 1 tablespoon Sesame Seed Oil.   Serve immediately with a sprinkle of Sesame Seeds. 


Chow mein
You might have noticed, I didn't add salt.  The Soy Sauce has enough salt in it.

To make this totally vegetarian, you can use vegetable stock instead, and to make it gluten free, just use some bean thread noodles or rice noodles.

This is my plate from last night.  Some Ham Fried Rice, and hiding under the sesame seeds, the Chow Mein, alongside some totally awesome Chicken Balls.   


I kinda like Sesame Seeds...

And I got to eat the leftover Chow Mein for breakfast. 
It was a pretty balanced meal.   Veggies, carbs and protein.
Not too shabby.

Sidsel Munkholm - Author
Sidsel Munkholm - Author

Sid loves to cook, feed people and have fun in the kitchen. She shares her successes and the involuntary offerings she sometimes gives the kitchen goddess as well. And she's still looking for the mythical fairy to help her clean the kitchen after a marathon cooking session. Currently working on a cookbook showcasing the recipes from her Danish heritage.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers, so please feel free to drop me a note, let me know if you like something I made, it makes my day.