Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Home made Schnapps or Snaps or...

As you may have figured out by now, I'm Danish.

Yup, I am.

You figured it out?

Oh, OK.

At any rate, as I've posted here before I love my Rye Bread and Herring, and I don't think I've met a Smørrebrød yet that I didn't like either.

But for myself,  as for a lot of Danes, one of the key elements of a good smorgasbord is not only Beer, but Snaps, Schnapps, Aquavit, or Akvavit.  Doesn't matter how you spell it. Or even say it. 

Also known as 'water of life'.   Which might be a little bit of exaggeration.

Nah.

My favourite Akvavit is Jubilaeums, by Aalborg, but since Danish Distillers was sold, it apparently is not imported into the US anymore. I can buy the Taffel Akvavit here, but I have to admit to liking the flavour of Jubilaeums better and since I can't buy it, I decided to try my hand at making some, or at least flavouring a good potato based, in other words, neutral, vodka with some Dill, Anise and other spices.   There is a website I looked at for ideas, here and they had all kinds of ideas.  So many ideas...

But, I wanted to see if I could recreate or at least approximate the taste of my favourite.

So here's what I did back in July.

I got the last seed head from my dill plant (the rest had been eaten by the swallowtail butterfly caterpillars), placed that in the jar, added coriander and some star anise.  Sealed it up tight, put it in the cupboard and managed to keep my lips off of it for a couple of months.

It is now the most gorgeous amber colored liquid.   And it tastes good too.    
I did taste test it.   I had to. 

It is now residing in my freezer, waiting...

I think I see a nice piece of Smørrebrød in my near future along with a glass of snaps as well.

*** I have to add, that in my search for Jubiliaeums Akvavit I did find a distiller here in the US who makes a version that they say is similar to Jubilaeums.  It is called Gamle Ode, and they produce a variety of Snaps.  Now, I haven't tried it, but.... Here's a link to their website, and if you're in Minnesota, or Wisconsin or any of the other places they distribute it to, go ahead and try it.
Sidsel Munkholm - Author
Sidsel Munkholm - Author

Sid loves to cook, feed people and have fun in the kitchen. She shares her successes and the involuntary offerings she sometimes gives the kitchen goddess as well. And she's still looking for the mythical fairy to help her clean the kitchen after a marathon cooking session. Currently working on a cookbook showcasing the recipes from her Danish heritage.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers, so please feel free to drop me a note, let me know if you like something I made, it makes my day.