Sunday, December 21, 2014

December Tapas

It was our monthly Tapas Night last night and we had a bunch of people there.   We also did a Grinch Christmas Present exchange, which is always a fun event.

Some people jealously guarded their presents, while others put their presents up for bids.
Nah, they really didn't.   But there was a little bit of stealing going on, and some presents traveled to a couple of new owners until they were frozen in place. 

All I know is I had fun, and I hope our guests did as well. 

And to all those who brought us hostess/host/doggie hostess gifts, thank you.  You didn't need to do that, but we do appreciate them and our doggy does as well. 

However, there is one thing I do know, there was a lot of food, and everything I got to taste was so good.

So without further ado, and no drum rolls either.  
 Homemade Hummus, two different kinds,  one with Kalamata Olives.  Both tasted wonderful. 
 A veggie plate, and the dip, well, all I know is I need the recipe for this.  It had tomatoes and bacon in it, and was sinful.   And when the veggies were gone, we were putting it on the leftover ciabatta bread and eating it like that. 
 I put out some Ciabatta rolls with two different kinds of dipping oils.    The one at the top is a Pomegranate Quince Balsamic vinegar which I paired with a Coratina Olive Oil.    The other one at the bottom is the Black Current Balsamic with the Baklouti Green Chili .   And yes, I did put links to the store here, but I'm not getting any kind of recompense for it, I've just become such a fan of these oils and vinegars.  

And never mind how many I have in my pantry.  
 I also tried making some little puff pastry bites, but the idea was good, it was tasty, but the execution was off.  I did notice most of them got eaten anyway.  I'll tell you all about it later on, and what not to do. sigh. 
 I was going going to say something cheesy that we had everything from soup to nuts, but we didn't.  There was no soup.
I made these sugared pecans, and all I can say is that the guests are darn lucky they even got to taste them, cause I was nibbling on them all day. 

I'll share how to make these addictive (for me at least), nuggets of goodness in another post.






Now this was one of those, hard to keep out of dishes.  A cheesy pull apart bread.  I kept watching people going over there and just getting a little bit, and then going back for another taste and...

OK, so it was me.   sheesh.   But gee, cheese, garlic and bread.

A trifecta of yum.

 I just love it when people decorate their dishes.  This was so good, there was some blue cheese and candied pecans studded on top of the sweet potato souffle'ish dish.   I ate a big scoop. 
 This chicken was to die for.  Seasoned beautifully, cooked to perfection, and I think I need to get this recipe as well.   I could so totally do this one. 











Every time I eat a lovely melange of veggies like this, I think of one thing.   If only my mother could see me now.  She would laugh.  She loved her vegetables, and me, well, despite the fact we lived on a farm and grew vegetables for market, I didn't like them.    And now I do. 

 Mom, you were right.  Vegetables are good to eat. 
 And look at this luscious pasta dish. 

 Ummm, I think I need the recipe for this as well. 

Really, I could make a meal of this, and look Mom, it's got vegetables in it as well.
 I just wonder sometimes about Sweet Potatoes.   They have got to be one of the most versatile dishes around.  You can bake them, make them into wonderful souffle's, turn them into layered casseroles.  

It's all good.  And this dish was as well.
 You knew we were going to have some pineapple as well, didn't you?   And look Santas' hiding.  I guess he's a little overwhelmed at the moment.   
 Cornbread stuffing, cause I had told people I was trying my hand at a brined turkey.    And you need stuffing to go with it.    Very nice.  

Cornbread stuffing so southern, and I'd never had it before moving here,  and Kathy makes a really good one.
 And then there was this dish.   It had Tamales on top, and around the side and I ate one.  Of the tamales that is.    It's been years since I've had a tamale, not since we lived in Malibu.   I really think I need to make some of these for myself.   

Here's one view of the table with some of the food, before I continue on with the individual dishes.    

I'm very thankful I have a sturdy table at these events.  

 Someone got into the holiday spirit on this one.   Look how pretty, and it tasted really good as well.  I love these loaves?, well, I'm really not too sure what to call them.  They're just plain good. 








 This was so good, again, a mixture of vegetables, roasted so that the natural sweetness comes through.  

My mom would have loved all the vegetable dishes that were brought last night.  So good.

And also a good overview of the table.  Before the hordes descended. 







 I made a brined turkey, for the first time, and have to admit to not realizing just how little meat I was going to get off of that turkey.  I knew it wasn't that big a turkey, but...  It all got eaten.   I think there were more bones than meat on it.   I'll show you what I did with the bones in another post. 
And here's another overview of the table.    


And this wasn't all that people brought, there was more.  
Here's some more veggies.  Asparagus and tomatoes, and yes, I had some of them as well. 

At least I ate 'good for you' food last night. 











And this is what happens when you get a bunch of people in.   The bottom dish there, was a lovely sweet potato casserole, and as you can see, inroads were made on all of the dishes. 










 I tell you, ravening hordes have nothing on us when it comes to consuming good food.      And as I look at this picture, I didn't get a good shot of the Cranberry compote that was brought.  Plastic dish, upper right hand side.     But it was eaten, with relish.   (was that a pun?, if so, sorry.  Not). 







 But... we still had dessert to contend with and eat.   Just kidding.

We had some totally awesome dark fudge.   Always a popular item.  

I mean, fudge and dark chocolate together?

 I had made some Chocolate Hummus and there was a little left over from Friday night at NPA so, I served it again.  
I have to say, it's so much fun watching people's faces when you say Chocolate Hummus.   And then they taste it. 
And it's all good for you as well.  
 An assortment of cookies, all dressed up in holiday style.  
Sorry, couldn't resist that one.
 There were some lovely pumpkin scones.   I tasted them, so I know they were lovely.  
 Peppermint bark, and it is good.  And you can see in the background one lonely (but not for long) sliver of the Cranberry Pie.
 And this is how it looked at the beginning.   I do have the recipe and I'll be sharing it later on.    Cause it's that good.  And deserves to be shared.

(This is the same one, well not really the same one, but another one, that I failed to get a picture of at Boat Club).

Along with the other cookies, we also had these cookies.  

I have to take an especially long walk today, tomorrow and for at a week to walk off some of these calories.  

But it was worth it all. 







And I leave you with a shot of our Christmas tree lights,  I love it when I accidently get a shot like this.  














Sidsel Munkholm - Author
Sidsel Munkholm - Author

Sid loves to cook, feed people and have fun in the kitchen. She shares her successes and the involuntary offerings she sometimes gives the kitchen goddess as well. And she's still looking for the mythical fairy to help her clean the kitchen after a marathon cooking session. Currently working on a cookbook showcasing the recipes from her Danish heritage.

1 comment:

  1. I missed a good, yummy, grinchy time! Merry Christmas!
    -Debi

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from my readers, so please feel free to drop me a note, let me know if you like something I made, it makes my day.