Thursday, January 29, 2015

Pork Brochettes

 I had no real plan on what I was going to make for Tapas this month, I had a couple of ideas and wrote them down, but when I looked at them again I went "Meh", they just didn't sound that exciting. 

I knew I had a pork tenderloin in the freezer and wanted to use that, but didn't want to make Tonkatsu, again...
And I also didn't want to just roast it and season it, been there, done that.  A couple of times, and while tasty, wanted something a little different.

So I went looking for inspiration in my cookbooks, specifically my 100 Best Classic Tapas.

And I found it.

THE RECIPE!!!!

They tend to jump out at me, these inspirational recipes that is.

You can find this one on Page 70. 

I just thought I would let you know in case you have the book and want to follow along with me.

And if you don't, here's how I made them.

First off, I had tenderloin and did not want to marinate them overnight or even for the 8 hours they recommended.  Tenderloin will take on the flavours beautifully in less time.

1 pound lean, boneless pork   (I used two tenderloins)
3 tablespoons good olive oil, I used Coratina Olive Oil from Smashing Olive.   Plus extra for drizzling.
juice and zest from a large lemon  (I had a couple that were given to me last week, so I used them)
2 garlic cloves, crushed and minced a little, just to release the garlicky goodness
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, flat or curly,  your choice.
1 tablespoon ras-el-hanout spice blend.
salt and pepper

Mix the olive oil, lemon juice, zest, parsley and garlic together.   Set aside.










Cut the pork into bite size pieces, about 3/4 inch square, and place into a pan, glass or plastic, in a single layer.  If you're using a pork tenderloin, take off the silver skin first.  Trust me on this, if you don't, you will regret it.  Nothing you can do will make it palatable.   











Pour the marinade over top of the pork and refrigerate for about 3 - 4 hours if using pork tenderloin, or up to 8 hours if using lean pork.



 I did massage the marinade into the pork a little, cause I could.











Take the meat out and either grill it or broil them.    You can skewer a few pieces of the pork and grill them or do as I did, which was spread them out on a shallow pan, and broil them.









Skewer the pieces of pork on toothpicks, sprinkle a little more parsley over the top, and then finish off with a little of a good, and I do mean good, olive oil.  
I had the Coratina and it finished off the dish beautifully.









I'll share the recipe for the ras-el-hanout another day, and tell you how I used it in another dish.  

Just have to figure out what else I can use it in, I seem to have quite a bit left over. 





Sidsel Munkholm - Author
Sidsel Munkholm - Author

Sid loves to cook, feed people and have fun in the kitchen. She shares her successes and the involuntary offerings she sometimes gives the kitchen goddess as well. And she's still looking for the mythical fairy to help her clean the kitchen after a marathon cooking session. Currently working on a cookbook showcasing the recipes from her Danish heritage.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers, so please feel free to drop me a note, let me know if you like something I made, it makes my day.