Friday, January 30, 2015

Senior Lunch for the last two weeks.

My feet hurt.

I walked over 6000 steps in the kitchen yesterday, just getting stuff ready.   We got a gracious plenty of Roma Tomatoes, Green Peppers and Eggplant from Farmshare and had to do something with it, as well as feed our seniors.
Luckily a local restaurant called 2 Al's provided some awesome spaghetti sauce and meatballs, along with spaghetti and garlic toast for our lunch today.   We made a salad and used some of the tomatoes and green peppers along with the lettuce.    There were over 80 people who enjoyed their meal.




But there were still the tomatoes, green peppers and eggplant to deal with.   As well as the desserts that we make every week.

The tomatoes (and darn I didn't get a picture of them), were roasted and put into bags for freezing.  I had two wonderful volunteers to do that for me.  

I wrapped up a bunch of the eggplants in plastic wrap, and will make them into an Eggplant Bake next week to be served alongside the Mojo Pork, rice and black beans.    I'm also going to make some pans of eggplants up to be frozen and served at a later date.
And as for those green peppers...
WOW.  Some will be processed and frozen in pieces, while a lot of the others will be cored out and frozen whole and then we can have some stuffed green peppers for a lunch in a couple of weeks.
You just don't look gift food in the mouth.    Especially where we're feeding so many people and get very limited funding to do so.  
It's just so much fun having a large freezer at my disposal, I love to preserve food.    And I love to bake and am looking forward to baking lots more stuff.   

And last week we served up Blackeyed Peas, Collard Greens, Rice, Roast Pork, and Cornbread.   




And I baked Muffins that are going to be served along with the breakfast beginning next week. 


We have some great volunteers who are going to be making and serving breakfast one day a week.   This used to be a popular event, and was discontinued for awhile, but we're hoping to get a few people in again.



Sidsel Munkholm - Author
Sidsel Munkholm - Author

Sid loves to cook, feed people and have fun in the kitchen. She shares her successes and the involuntary offerings she sometimes gives the kitchen goddess as well. And she's still looking for the mythical fairy to help her clean the kitchen after a marathon cooking session. Currently working on a cookbook showcasing the recipes from her Danish heritage.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers, so please feel free to drop me a note, let me know if you like something I made, it makes my day.