Friday, February 27, 2015

Baked Brie with Red Current Jelly and Candied Nuts

I think I watch way too much Chopped on the Food Network sometimes.

Well, I would watch it way too much, if it weren't on so darned late at night.

I'm not exactly a night owl these days.   And 10 pm qualifies as such.

But...

I wanted to make some Baked Brie for Tapas this past week, and I had some lovely Brie I'd bought a Trader Joe's recently.  It is sliceable.  In other words, it looks a little like a log, a little squared off log, that is.

So...  I decided to see what else I had in the freezer and pantry I could use with the Brie.

I pulled out some puff pastry from the freezer and let it thaw in the fridge for a little while.
Took the brie cheese, placed it in the center of the pastry.


Added some Red Current Jelly and some crushed Candied Nuts I had hanging around in the fridge, minding their own business. 
Brie with Currant Jelly and Nuts
Then decided I'd cut slits in the sides and try making something fun looking.
Brie with Currant Jelly and Nuts in Puff Pastry
Took turns folding them over, and brushed them with lightly beaten eggs.

See.

I love my mini pastry brush, I can just pop off the silicone head and into the dishwasher it goes.


Put the brie log into my mini baking pan, and sprinkled some more crushed candied nuts on the top.

Brie with Currant Jelly and Nuts in Puff Pastry

I did bake this at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes, which might have been almost 5 minutes too long.

Either that or I just didn't seal the pastry well enough.
Baked Brie with Currant Jelly and Nuts in Puff Pastry
Cause some of the Brie escaped.

Brie with Currant Jelly and Nuts in Puff Pastry
But it still tasted good.   And I will make it again and again and again.
Baked Brie with Currant Jelly and Nuts in Puff Pastry

Just so long as I have some or all of the ingredients hanging around.

Sidsel Munkholm - Author
Sidsel Munkholm - Author

Sid loves to cook, feed people and have fun in the kitchen. She shares her successes and the involuntary offerings she sometimes gives the kitchen goddess as well. And she's still looking for the mythical fairy to help her clean the kitchen after a marathon cooking session. Currently working on a cookbook showcasing the recipes from her Danish heritage.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers, so please feel free to drop me a note, let me know if you like something I made, it makes my day.