Friday, February 6, 2015

Something's Seedy Crackers

I was really lucky to be paired with an awesome blog this month for the Secret Recipe Club and had fun making a Jordanian  Layered Onion bread which was really tasty.

However, there were a lot of other recipes on Sawsan's blog, Chef in Disguise  that I wanted to try and I decided to make these crackers for Super Bowl Sunday.
I love seeded crackers, they're good on their own, or with a bite of cheese on top or ...
Something's Seedy Crackers

OK, so they're tasty all by themselves. 
You were peeking in my kitchen, weren't you?  You saw me just eating them, plain, without anything on them.


I did taste test a bunch of few crackers.

I baked some of the crackers according to the recipe, and then I had fun with the last half.

I also changed up a couple of the ingredients, but that's cause the big old bottle of poppy seeds, that I knew I had, in the pantry, are MIA.

 Divide the dough into either thirds or quarters, and roll out each piece until you get it thin enough.  I made it about 1/4 inch thick, or maybe a little less.
Something's Seedy Crackers
Cut into squares and place on a baking sheet, bake for about 12 minutes, or until the crackers start to brown around the edges.
Take out of oven, taste test one, burning the tongue in the process, decide you need a touch more seasoning.
Something's Seedy Crackers
So for the next batch I grabbed my onion powder and sprinkled just a little on top of the rolled out dough and then cut out some rounds.
Something's Seedy Crackers
I reserve the right to change things up in midstream here.   Baked them off, and then for the last bit of dough, I rolled them out, sprinkled some pizza seasoning on top, and cut them into diamonds and baked them off.

Something's Seedy Crackers
So for one basic recipe, I managed to get three separate flavour profiles.

I had to sample each cracker a couple of times, but I had enough left over to bring with me for Super Bowl.
From the front, Baklava, Lemon Lime Pound cake, "The Crackers" in the divided dish, some Buffalo Chicken Bites, a veggie plate and a cheese plate. 

I really like this recipe, it's versatile, tastes great and best of all, I know exactly what is in it.

I think next time I might add some sunflower seeds as well, or maybe just toast the sesame seeds a little to get more of a nutty flavour. 

**** Update****  I made some more last night for NPA and served them alongside a nice double cream Brie.    They were a hit.  Again.
Something's Seedy Crackers

I swear I'll never buy the seeded crackers again, these are so outrageously good, and best of all  I know exactly what is in them.

I do live in the Redneck Riviera and umm, I reserve the right to make my own 'Crackers'.  


And in the meantime, I love to hear from my readers, so if you have a comment, please feel free to do so. 







Yield: 10 servings

Something Seedy Crackers

prep time: 15 minscook time: 15 minstotal time: 30 mins
This is a fun take on traditional Hummus and is probably even good for you as well.

ingredients:

2 cups bread flour
1/4 cup Flax Seeds
1/4 cup Chia Seeds
1/4 cup Sesame Seeds
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. Baking Powder
3 tablespoons Olive Oil
3/4 cup water (enough to moisten the dough, maybe a little more or maybe a little less).

instructions:

  Mix together, and let rest for about 15 minutes.
Preheat oven to 450 degrees
Divide the dough into either thirds or quarters, and roll out each piece until you get it thin enough.  I made it about 1/4 inch thick, or maybe a little less.
Cut into squares and place on a baking sheet, bake for about 12-15  minutes, or until the crackers start to brown around the edges.
Remove from pan and serve
Created using The Recipes Generator
Sidsel Munkholm - Author
Sidsel Munkholm - Author

Sid loves to cook, feed people and have fun in the kitchen. She shares her successes and the involuntary offerings she sometimes gives the kitchen goddess as well. And she's still looking for the mythical fairy to help her clean the kitchen after a marathon cooking session. Currently working on a cookbook showcasing the recipes from her Danish heritage.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers, so please feel free to drop me a note, let me know if you like something I made, it makes my day.