Saturday, May 23, 2015

Lemon Salt

 I got a wild hare the other day and decided that with all the lemon we were using for ice tea that I was tired of throwing away the peels. 

All that lemon zest going to waste? 

Just sitting there, on the slices of lemon I was squeezing into my tea. 

Wasteful, wasteful, wasteful...

And somewhere I had read something about making lemon salt, I think it was on Facebook, but I could be wrong.

So, I decided to try zesting the lemons before squeezing them into my tea. 

Although I got the bright idea after I'd already cut a lemon, which just so happened to be the sole lemon my little lemon tree produced this/last year. 

I just sliced the peel very thinly from it, and proceeded to chop it even further using my mezzaluna.
Luckily there was very little pith, but even so, I took that off as well.

I then proceeded to zest another lemon, cause I decided that I didn't have enough peel to do much good to the salt other than irritate it.

Put them all into a container I just so happened to have, which was full of sea salt for my grinder, and shook it all up, together.

Recipe:
1/2 cup coarse salt for a grinder
zest from 1-2 lemons or more if you like.
Mix together and use.

*** I also spread the salt and zest out in a pan, and put it in the oven at 170 deg. for about 5 minutes, turned the oven off and let it sit.  I wanted to zest to dry out otherwise I think it would have gone mouldy.

I don't use a great deal of salt, but sometimes you just want to amp it up a little when cooking something. 

I'm thinking a few grinds of this lemon salt on a roast chicken, or some fish, maybe rimming a margarita glass or even a Bloody Maria.  (Tequila instead of vodka, so good.)

I'm going to add more zest to the salt container, but I can't wait to start using it.
 

Come to think of it, I've got a nice fat roasting chicken hanging out in the freezer.  

I think I'll introduce them soon.









Sea Salt
Sidsel Munkholm - Author
Sidsel Munkholm - Author

Sid loves to cook, feed people and have fun in the kitchen. She shares her successes and the involuntary offerings she sometimes gives the kitchen goddess as well. And she's still looking for the mythical fairy to help her clean the kitchen after a marathon cooking session. Currently working on a cookbook showcasing the recipes from her Danish heritage.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers, so please feel free to drop me a note, let me know if you like something I made, it makes my day.