Friday, June 5, 2015

Cabbage Rolls and Turkey Pot Pie for Senior Lunch

Last week we made some Cabbage Rolls along with Colcannon for our Senior Lunch and it was very good and well received.   Russell actually made the Colcannon and it was, hands down the best one I've ever had.  Lisa made a bunch of pies, which also disappeared in short order.   She made a couple of Strawberry Cream Cheese Pies, a Cherry Pie and a Chocolate Chess Pie.   I need the recipe for the Chess Pie. And when I get it, I'm sharing, here.

This week I used some of the leftover Turkey we had in the freezer and we had a Turkey Pot Pie topped with Puff Pastry.
We also made a Squash Casserole using some of the squash we got earlier in the year from Farmshare.  And we utilized some of the leftover cornbread we had in the freezer.
I have to say one of my biggest challenges is making enough food and yet not too much for our guests.  I never know just how many people we are going to serve lunch to, but the numbers have been going up.

We're now doing a Souper Tuesday and giving a free soup lunch on Tuesdays and will be utilizing any and all leftovers from lunch.
This next week they won't have any to use but I did make 18 quarts of really good stock for Cheryl to use.
And with a good stock, you can do almost anything.

I do love making stock, there is just something so satisfying about it.

I took some turkey carcasses out of the freezer,

roasted them a little,

 then put them into a pot with some celery, carrots and Vidalia onions, which I had also roasted, a little. 

  I also seasoned it lightly with parsley, sage and a bay leaf.    No salt.


Simmered the whole pot for a couple of hours, strained them and then froze the stock.

I also had some 'turkey juice' otherwise known as drippings which I used for the 'Pot Pie'.
Basically I made it like I do at home, and here's my recipe.    Although because I was serving so many people and I wanted to make sure everyone got some 'crust', we baked little squares of puff pastry off and then served them floating on top of the filling.
I also made a squash casserole, which I thought tasted pretty darn good.
(patting self on back).
We had some leftover corn bread in the freezer, so I toasted it on a pan
Then crumbled it up and put a thin layer down in another baking pan, topped it with some yellow squash and onions which I had simmered until the onion was just tender in a little water.   There was also some zucchini in there as well.
 I topped them with a nice creamy sauce which I had made out of some heavy cream, which we had in the fridge and needed to be used.  I mixed that with some cream of mushroom soup and a little milk.   Poured it over the squash and topped it with some more cornbread and cheese. 

We then baked it for an hour and served it as the side dish with the 'Pot Pie'.

At the last minute, we got a bunch of cucumbers in, as in cases and cases and cases, so we hurried up and sliced them thinly, and I made a quick pickle mix up and poured it over the cukes and they 'pickled' nicely.

And we had just enough.

We made some more pickles for next week, and I've got plans for the red potatoes that found their way into the cooler this week.    We also got a lot of red peppers, and I see some wonderful stuffed peppers on the menu in the future.
And more pickles, lots and lots of pickles.




Sidsel Munkholm - Author
Sidsel Munkholm - Author

Sid loves to cook, feed people and have fun in the kitchen. She shares her successes and the involuntary offerings she sometimes gives the kitchen goddess as well. And she's still looking for the mythical fairy to help her clean the kitchen after a marathon cooking session. Currently working on a cookbook showcasing the recipes from her Danish heritage.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers, so please feel free to drop me a note, let me know if you like something I made, it makes my day.