Friday, July 10, 2015

Grilled Chicken and Pies for Senior Lunch

I've been remiss.

Yes, I have.  I've been busy, not so much with cooking stuff, other than my stints in the Senior Center.

Last week we served Marinated Grilled Chicken for lunch with some Tomato and Okra, Macaroni and Cheese and assorted Pies for dessert.   I marinated the chicken in some Italian dressing, then they were tossed onto a grill after which we finished cooking them in the oven.
The Tomato and Okra dish was made from donations from Farmshare and it went over very well.
Hmmmm, I think I feel a new post coming on about how to make this totally delicious southern dish.   But it will have to wait for another day. 

I even made a fresh Strawberry Pie for the Cake Raffle, and am rather pleased with how well it turned out. 
Lisa told me the correct scientific term for extracting the juice from the Strawberries, I had no idea it was called osmosis.    I just said we were going to macerate the sliced berries in a teensy pinch of salt and some sugar.   I knew that that combo would draw out the juice, which I could then strain.   We didn't have the luxury of time so we mooshed (scientific like term), the strawberries and then put them into a strainer and let the juice drip out.   I cooked the juice with some cornstarch until it thickened and turned nice and glossy and poured it over the fresh strawberries in a baked pie shell.   I will share the exact measurements and a step by step how to in a future post.

Lisa also made a bunch of pies, and I wasn't quick enough to get pictures of all the sliced pies.  But here they are on the cart before they were cut up.
There was an apple pie, a blackberry pie, two chocolate chess pies, a coconut pie and a sugar free lemon tart.

And it was all gone, in no time at all.  We do like our pies down here.  

Sidsel Munkholm - Author
Sidsel Munkholm - Author

Sid loves to cook, feed people and have fun in the kitchen. She shares her successes and the involuntary offerings she sometimes gives the kitchen goddess as well. And she's still looking for the mythical fairy to help her clean the kitchen after a marathon cooking session. Currently working on a cookbook showcasing the recipes from her Danish heritage.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers, so please feel free to drop me a note, let me know if you like something I made, it makes my day.