Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Russian Dressing

I needed some Russian Dressing for a recipe recently, and went tripping down the salad dressing aisle at the grocery store to pick some up.
I know I've seen it for sale in the past, but had never bought any.
I could not find even one single, solitary bottle even in the artisanal area.
So, I looked it up in my cookbooks.
Do you have any idea how many versions there are of Russian Dressing?
Lots...
Everyone agreed on a few basic points.  You needed mayonnaise, either ketchup or chili sauce, some horseradish, onion and some kind of pepper or hot sauce.   I found the ultimate discussion here.  Really, I had no idea there were so many versions out there.

Russian Dressing
I decided to add my own twist to it.  Cause I could.

1 cup Mayonnaise
1/2 cup ketchup
1 tablespoon finely minced onion
4 tablespoons Horseradish Sauce - I used Inglehoffer Creamstyle Horseradish Sauce
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon Sambal Oelek
1/2 teaspoon Israeli Paprika

Mix together and place in fridge for an hour to let the flavors get acquainted.  
Russian Dressing

I had to stop tasting it, cause I really liked the flavor profile. 

I'm going to keep the ingredients on hand because this was lovely, and I think it would be totally awesome on a Reuben Sandwich.

I think I need to fish that Corned Beef out of the freezer and make me a sandwich, soon.  
Sidsel Munkholm - Author
Sidsel Munkholm - Author

Sid loves to cook, feed people and have fun in the kitchen. She shares her successes and the involuntary offerings she sometimes gives the kitchen goddess as well. And she's still looking for the mythical fairy to help her clean the kitchen after a marathon cooking session. Currently working on a cookbook showcasing the recipes from her Danish heritage.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers, so please feel free to drop me a note, let me know if you like something I made, it makes my day.