Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Blossom Dip (and Hamburger Spread)

In years past I used to go to a well known restaurant, order their deep fried onion and then proceed to fill up on that and the dip.
I loved the dip, I could spoon it up and just eat it 'as is'.   In fact I would growl at anyone who took more than their fair share, and would often request more. 
It's been years since I've been in that particular restaurant but I still have fond memories of the dip.
Very fond memories.
Blossom Dip for Onions and Burgers

I've been on an onion kick lately, it started with the Vidalia's when they came in season, I've been baking, cooking and eating them the past couple few months.  When I was cooking at the Senior Center we were given a huge box of Vidalia's and I incorporated them into several meals.  I even baked them in the oven and made Onion Blossoms, and people loved them.  They were so good.
And since it was Labor Day weekend, we were invited to a friends house for a hamburger cookout, and I decided to bring onions as my contribution.  I not only had chopped and sliced onions, I also baked some, and then made the 'dip' for what turned out to be onion petals by the time I got the onions into a dish that I could take with us.
And lucky me, there was some left over to take home. giggle.
Blossom Dip for Hamburgers
You know how when something you make is so good, you keep stealing tastes of it?  Well, this was that, for me.

Mix all together and place in the fridge for a hour or so.

  It needs to rest up a little.
Just while the onions are roasting in the oven.



 Almost ready...
You can then take the onions apart and dip each little onion petal into the dip and eat it that way, or do as I do, dump a bunch of onion petals or a whole onion? onto a plate and proceed to slather it with dip or just put a dollop of dip on top.

I did put some of the onions and dip onto a hamburger the other day and all I have to say about that is
WOW!!!!!! YUM!!!! GOTTA DO THAT AGAIN!!!!!!
I thought it tasted that good. Really, I did.

And since there was a little left over from yesterday, I'm having it on a toasted roll for lunch.




yield: 1 1/2 cupsprint recipe

Blossom Dip

prep time: 5 MINScook time: total time: 5 mins
This is the perfect dip for those deep fried onions, or as spread for a hamburger or just to dip some roasted onions into. Amp up the heat by adding more Sambal Oelek or leave it as is.

INGREDIENTS:

  • 1/2 cup Sour Cream
  • 1/2 cup Mayonnaise
  • 3 tablespoons Ketchup
  • 2 tablespoons Horseradish Sauce (I like Inglehoffers brand)
  • 2 teaspoons Sambal Oelek

INSTRUCTIONS:

  1. Mix all the ingredients together and place in fridge for an hour or so before serving.
Created using The Recipes Generator
Sidsel Munkholm - Author
Sidsel Munkholm - Author

Sid loves to cook, feed people and have fun in the kitchen. She shares her successes and the involuntary offerings she sometimes gives the kitchen goddess as well. And she's still looking for the mythical fairy to help her clean the kitchen after a marathon cooking session. Currently working on a cookbook showcasing the recipes from her Danish heritage.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers, so please feel free to drop me a note, let me know if you like something I made, it makes my day.