Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Boston Cream Pie, third and final try

I have a friend, really, I do, have a friend that is.  Her favourite cake is a Boston Cream Pie, and the past few years I've made her one for her birthday.  And her birthday happens to fall right about Thanksgiving every year, and since we also have Tapas Night around the same time, I put two and five together and figured out I could make her a cake and serve it at Tapas. 

My first attempt was, ummm, memorable.   It totally fell apart, so I served it in a shallow bowl.  It tasted wonderful, but...

My second try turned out quite well, the taste was good, and it looked pretty, but the top slid off, sigh.  Not a good thing, really.

This time round I decided to make the Boston Cream Pie recipe from my Boston Cooking School cookbook, 1936 edition.

I mean, I'm making the Boston Cream Pie from the Boston Cooking School Cookbook.

Get it?

Never mind.

There were two possibilities for the cake there, one was called a Two Egg Cake, the other was the Boston Favorite Cake.
I went back and forth and sideways as to which recipe I wanted to make this year and then decided on the Boston Favorite Cake.
It looked like it was a little more over the top, well, more of a special occasion cake that is.
And I was making a Boston Cream Pie, so to me the Boston Favorite Cake was the way to go.  

Recipe:  Boston Favourite Cake

2/3 cup butter
1 7/8 cup sugar
4 eggs
1 cup milk
3 1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
5 teaspoons baking powder

Cream butter, add half the sugar, gradually, and beat until light. Add remaining sugar to well-beaten eggs. Combine mixtures. Mix and sift flour, baking powder and salt and add alternately with milk to first mixture. Beat thoroughly and add vanilla.

Bake in loaf tin or 2 buttered layer cake pans 20-30 minutes in moderately hot oven, 375 deg. 











 

 I had to show off the baked cakes, they were perfect.










Take out of oven, turn the cakes out of the pans, let them cool, and split them in half.  I only did one of the cakes this year, but next year, I'll split both of them. 
The crumb was fantastic on the cake, fine and yet not heavy or too light.
Place a split half on a cake stand (and yes I was brave this year, I knew it wasn't going to slip and slide)
Put half the cream filling on top of the split cake and then top it with the other half.  Spread the other half of the cream filling on top of that cake and finish off with the final layer.
                                                                          TADA!!!!
Finish it off by pouring the Chocolate Ganache on top and refrigerate it until you are ready to serve it.
I neglected to get a shot of the cut cake, but judging by how little of the cake was left at the end of the night, it was a success.

I'll tell you all about how to make the Cream Filling and the Chocolate Ganache in the next post. 

Sidsel Munkholm - Author
Sidsel Munkholm - Author

Sid loves to cook, feed people and have fun in the kitchen. She shares her successes and the involuntary offerings she sometimes gives the kitchen goddess as well. And she's still looking for the mythical fairy to help her clean the kitchen after a marathon cooking session. Currently working on a cookbook showcasing the recipes from her Danish heritage.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers, so please feel free to drop me a note, let me know if you like something I made, it makes my day.