Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Asian Meatballs


Asian Style Meatballs
I just never know exactly what I'm going to make for Tapas most months.   I'll pick up random items at the grocery store, think, hmm, this looks interesting, I wonder what if?  And then I'll promptly forget the what if?.

I did that a couple of weeks ago.  I picked up a pound of ground pork, more or less because it's hard to find plain ground pork and decided I would make some kind of meatballs with it.   Actually I was going to make my fall back Frikadeller.

I mean, I can make those blind folded and in my sleep.

Maybe not in my sleep, I have enough trouble navigating the stove when I'm awake sometimes.

So...

Where am I meandering with this?  

And then I thought I'd do something fun with the ground pork, and decided that maybe Albondigas would be fun to make and a little different.  I knew no reason they couldn't be made with ground pork.

Then it happened.   I was given a bottle of Satay Sauce as prize while playing Trivia at a local restaurant.
I had to make something that would showcase the sauce.  I love Satay sauce, just don't care for the chicken skewers it's usually served with.

I decided to make an Asian style meatball and found a recipe here.   And then promptly changed it up a little

Recipe:   Asian Style Meatballs                            Yield about 36 meatballs

1 1/4 lb. ground pork
1/2 cup Panko Breadcrumbs
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/4 cup water
4 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
1-2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
1 medium carrot, finely grated
1 small onion, finely minced
1 egg

    
Sorry, had to take the picture of my sprouting garlic.

Time to plant some outside I guess.   I have uses for those green shoots when they get a little bit bigger.
Once they grow up some, they're called Scapes and are totally delicious. 
In the food blender, add the oats, garlic and cilantro, process until the oats are broken up and almost meal-like.

Add the carrot, onion, breadcrumbs and meat and using the mixer attachment on the food process, process just til combined.  Add the egg and water and pulse together a half dozen times, just until combined. 
Then take a scoop and make little meatballs.

Place them on a parchment covered baking sheet and place in a 400 degree oven for about 10 minutes.


Then forget to take a picture of them on the sheet pan after they're all nicely baked.

Although next time I make these, I will turn them over halfway through the cooking time.  Just cause I like them to be browned all around. 
Asian Style Meatballs

Serve with some Satay Sauce and stand back while your guests (or you) devour them.











I was pleasantly surprised by just how light and tender these meatballs were.   
Ingredients
500g trim mince – pork, chicken or beef
1/2 cup wholemeal breadcrumbs
½ cup rolled oats
2 tablespoons cold water
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 tablespoons chopped coriander
1 medium carrot, grated
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon curry powder or red curry paste
To garnish:  fresh coriander, chopped - See more at: http://eatlosewin.com/2012/06/thai-meat-balls-with-satay-sauce/#sthash.zRp1OAS2.dpuf
500g trim mince – pork, chicken or beef
1/2 cup wholemeal breadcrumbs
½ cup rolled oats
2 tablespoons cold water
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 tablespoons chopped coriander
1 medium carrot, grated
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon curry powder or red curry paste
To garnish:  fresh coriander, chopped - See more at: http://eatlosewin.com/2012/06/thai-meat-balls-with-satay-sauce/#sthash.zRp1OAS2.dpuf
500g trim mince – pork, chicken or beef
1/2 cup wholemeal breadcrumbs
½ cup rolled oats
2 tablespoons cold water
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 tablespoons chopped coriander
1 medium carrot, grated
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon curry powder or red curry paste
To garnish:  fresh coriander, chopped - See more at: http://eatlosewin.com/2012/06/thai-meat-balls-with-satay-sauce/#sthash.zRp1OAS2.dpuf
Sidsel Munkholm - Author
Sidsel Munkholm - Author

Sid loves to cook, feed people and have fun in the kitchen. She shares her successes and the involuntary offerings she sometimes gives the kitchen goddess as well. And she's still looking for the mythical fairy to help her clean the kitchen after a marathon cooking session. Currently working on a cookbook showcasing the recipes from her Danish heritage.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers, so please feel free to drop me a note, let me know if you like something I made, it makes my day.