Tuesday, September 15, 2015

From Paneer to Rye Bread, this week in the kitchen.

I may have been making a lot of the same old same old this past week, but that doesn't mean I haven't been busy in the kitchen.  

We were up in the big city last week and I picked up a few pounds of Hatch Green Chiles, I only got 10 pounds, sheesh... I then proceeded to roast them and freeze them for future meals.  I didn't feel like roasting them over a gas flame, just put them under the broiler this year.  Big mistake, I ended up kinda 'cooking' them a little too much.  But they're still edible.  And this year those Chiles' were really hot.   I do mean hot, as in mouth fanning, whooshing, hot.  But soooo good.  

  I did peel a few and make some Chile Rellenos
for dinner.  I had to.  They were fresh and smelled so good. 

And they were hot!!!!

That's really not a bad thing. 







I also got some pork cooked for some Chile Verde. And froze the meat and some of the chiles for future meals. 

One of which happened to be this week.  

I didn't say how far into the future I wanted to go.


I do love having the makings for a few dinners in the freezer.  Especially when it comes to Mexican dishes. 

I've got lots and lots of chiles and pork in the freezer. 
giggle





Then I made some Paneer.  

Cause we ended up with a lot of milk which would have gone south if we didn't use it.  And I've been craving some Palak Paneer anyways, so having the Paneer ready made and waiting in the freezer is a good thing.  

I have a makeshift 'paneer' press going on here.  


Paneer is a fun Indian cheese which lends itself so well to a lot of dishes.  I may experiment a little more since I have lots of Paneer now. 










And since we were going to a Labor Day potluck I cut up a bunch of onions for the burgers and hot dogs, but ended up taking some of the onions back home so I just caramelized them and stuck them into a ice cube tray to freeze for meals down the road.
 This is a silicone ice cube container I got last year, and is so darn handy.  I bought it at Winners while visiting family.
I think it's really pretty as well.
 I moved as I was taking the picture but I thought it looked kinda cool so I included it.










I also made that incredible Blossom Dipping Sauce and told you that it would be good on a roast beef sandwich.
Well, gee, when I made the London Broil the other day I had some left over, so I sliced it very thin, then smeared some of the sauce onto a piece of warmed up Naan, placed the London Broil on it, and proceeded to eat it.
OMG, it was so good.  I'm seriously contemplating just roasting some more meat so I can have more sandwiches.
You need to try this, I mean it, honestly, I think it's one of the best sauces I've ever come up with.

 I also made a sourdough starter for Rye Bread.  It smelled wonderful, but when I baked the rye bread off, it was kinda disappointing, but I'll eat it anyway.   Not quite sour enough.  Next time I'm using buttermilk again. That did give it that 'sour' taste I love in rye bread. 
Now to figure out what to make for next week.

Any ideas? 

Sidsel Munkholm - Author
Sidsel Munkholm - Author

Sid loves to cook, feed people and have fun in the kitchen. She shares her successes and the involuntary offerings she sometimes gives the kitchen goddess as well. And she's still looking for the mythical fairy to help her clean the kitchen after a marathon cooking session. Currently working on a cookbook showcasing the recipes from her Danish heritage.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers, so please feel free to drop me a note, let me know if you like something I made, it makes my day.